Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 REMOTE LOGIN FROM APP

Androw
Aspirant

RBR50 REMOTE LOGIN FROM APP

I am trying to change the settings on my Orbi iPhone app so I can log in remotely.   It used to work but now the remote option is greyed out and when I try to turn it on I get a message saying this product is already registered with another account.   I've tried to log out of the app and relog in with my Netgear user but I can't change the user name from Admin.  Thanks for help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

The folks who follow the Orbi "app" forum may be able to offer more advice than people here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app 

Message 2 of 9

@Androw wrote:

I am trying to change the settings on my Orbi iPhone app so I can log in remotely.

You change the router, not the app, if you want to get remote login.

@Androw wrote:

....I can't change the user name from Admin. 

That's because it is "hard wired".

But what do you mean by login?

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I may be mistaken, however my impression is that Netgear provides two methods to remotely manage an Orbi system (actually, three if VPN is included).

• Using the Orbi web interface, the user can activate remote management from the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Remote Management.  This opens port 8443 for the Orbi web interface as httpAny web browser can access the entire Orbi web interface. 
  • On the Orbi "app", there is a setting for Remote Management that is tied to the Netgear "cloud".  It is set up on the app under Settings.
    Many Netgear customers have no desktop or laptop computer and use only the app.
    The app has a pretty, visual interface, but it does not provide access to many of the Orbi features.

Message 4 of 9

In both cases you have to enable remote access on the device.

In effect, they amount to the same thing.

One accesses the router through what you call the Netgear "cloud".

The other route, using port 8443, does not need the app. Just a browser. But you do need to know the IP address on the WAN. This isn't easy of your ISP doesn't provide a fixed IP address.

Port 8443 should not respond unless remote management is enabled. If it does, there is a bug in the system.

In either case, there is nothing you can change on the app. You just use it to get at the router. To do this it relies on the "Netgear account" to point you at the router's IP address.

You should be able to enable remote management on an app over a local wifi connection to the router. No need for a PC. But here too you need that Netgear account to be able to connect remotely.

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Well..... Maybe I am confused, but.......

On my Orbi web interface, I have Remote Management set to "No."  Port 8443 is not open.

On my Orbi "app", under "Settings" (the bottom menu item) is Remote Management, which I have set to "On".

My tablet is here in the house connected to the Orbi WiFi.  When I open the Orbi app, it connects to my Orbi.

THEN... when I tap on Remote Management, it claims that I have TWO connections, one "local" and one "Remote" through the cloud.

So, I maintain that a user can set up Remote Management without ever touching the Orbi web interface.

Message 6 of 9

@CrimpOn wrote:

So, I maintain that a user can set up Remote Management without ever touching the Orbi web interface.

Who said that you need to do that?

Read what I wrote:

"You should be able to enable remote management on an app over a local wifi connection to the router. No need for a PC."

But you cannot use remote management to set up remote management.

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Correct as usual.  I need to read more carefully.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. I thought the reference to Mr. Rogers was appropriate since the Tom Hanks movie just came out.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7