Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Very slow to start after reboot

Stylerod
Tutor

RBR50 Very slow to start after reboot

Hello,

I have an RBR50 with 3 Sattelites attached. It's running firmware V2.7.3.22. 

The issue is after it is powered down and then turned back on again it takes at least 10 minutes before it's attached to the internet. I have had this Router for years and always had this issue but it really never bothered me. The only inconvenience was our Echo units would give up trying to connect and, after the RBR was finally online, I would have to go to each one and restarted them to get them working. But then we had a power outage yesterday. We remodeled our kitchen and have under and over cabinate lights that are Alexa controlled. After restarted the Echo we could not get our lights to come on. I had to climb a ladder to get to the power for the lights and restart those as well. After that everything worked fine. 

But these are all issues that have to do with the length of time it takes for the RBR50 to be back online after power is started. It seems we have wireless devices that time out and don't try to connect anymore because of this slow boot up time. I am guessing that it's not allowing devices to connect to it or the satelites during this time either which is why they are timing out (I think they just want to connect to a device, not necessarily be on the internet). Is there any way to quicken the boot up time?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 8
Stylerod
Tutor

I am unsure of what our providor has us connected with. We have fiber to our house and something that looks like a small laptop attached to the ceiling of our crawlspace. They ran a cable from it to a Cat5 outlet in my office that the RBR connects to. It's not a normal Router. 

Our power was out for about 5 hours yesterday so the 1 minute power off and on of both devices would be a yes. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT5 or CAT5e? CAT5 only supports 100Mpbs connections this would slow speeds down. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Stylerod wrote:

The issue is after it is powered down and then turned back on again it takes at least 10 minutes before it's attached to the internet. I have had this Router for years and always had this issue but it really never bothered me. The only inconvenience was our Echo units would give up trying to connect and, after the RBR was finally online, I would have to go to each one and restarted them to get them working. But then we had a power outage yesterday. We remodeled our kitchen and have under and over cabinate lights that are Alexa controlled. After restarted the Echo we could not get our lights to come on. I had to climb a ladder to get to the power for the lights and restart those as well. After that everything worked fine. 

I have had a couple of multi-hour power outages which drained my UPS and caused everything in the house to reboot when power came back on.  My RBR50 restarted in the typical 2-3 minutes and every device in the house reconnected (including one Echo Dot.)

It is unclear if the power outage was (a) an area-wide event, or (b) related to the kitchen remodel.

Would there be a (relatively less inconvenient) time to perform an experiment?  Deliberately power off the RBR50.  Wait only a minute. Then power it back on and observe the behavior of the Ring Light. With my RBR50, there is a distinct set of conditions:

• Ring light turns on/off for about a minute
  • Ring light then 'fades' on/off for another minute
  • Ring light finally turns magenta for two minutes.
  • Ring light turns off.

How does your Orbi behave in this situation?

Message 5 of 8
Stylerod
Tutor

Thanks for that response. To tell the truth, I haven't watched the lights closely. I will try this another time. But I know when I have done firmware updates and such I can not connect to anything after powering up the RBR for a good 10+ minutes. 

Before having this unit I had an ASUS router with the same fiber going into the house. And restarting it I would be back on the internet within 2-3 minutes. 

Maybe early in the morning I will try a reboot and pay attention to the lights and the internet connection to see what I can find for sure. 

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  Look forward to hearing what happens.

Would you happen to remember if your ISP connection requires a User ID and password, or if it is based on DHCP?

I would like to experiment with my Echo Dot to see how long WiFi can remain off and it still connect automatically.  How long was your power outage?  (Or... how long would a loss of WiFi have to be to form a suitable test?)

Message 7 of 8
Stylerod
Tutor

I have a username and password and it is DHCP.

My power was off for 5 hours. But each time I have done a firmware update and rebooted the router (and sats) my Echo's would not work. I would have to unplug and then plug them back in and then they are fine. Now it seems the same is happening to my wifi lights made by Black and Decker. I have 3 sets of those and none worked until I unplugged and plugged them in again. 2 of my 3 Echo's did not work. Classic Gen 1 and Echo Show 5 inch did not work. The Echo Show 8 inch did work after the power outage (this is my newest and I think the first time it has had to reconnect after the Router was off).  

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7