Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 and 1 RBS50 slow

dajana1
Follower

RBR50 and 1 RBS50 slow

I am barely getting 6 mbps download. I have a Cox panorama modem. When I test the router to the internet on the orbi app I am getting 847 download. House is 3100 sq ft. 2 levels. Router is downstairs with modem. I have had the orbi system for over 5 years and it just seems to be getting worse. I have 172 devices and while I do have a lot of devices it seems that it is showing devices that aren’t currently connected and sometimes the devices are showing up twice. For example, my kids (who don’t live here) phones are showing up a couple of times. I have 35 active devices. Firmware is V2.7.4.24. Would upgrading to a newer orbi system be worthwhile? I am less worried about the expense. I need a fast reliable wifi for virtual meetings. Any suggestions? I have recently powered down, unplugged in correct order (modem, router, devices). Helped for a little bit (like maybe an hourish) but that’s it.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 and 1 RBS50 slow

Orbi systems remember every device that has every been allowed to connect.  My first step would be to clear the tables on the Access Control menu.  See page 47 of the User Manual: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

If Access Control is not enabled, check the box to enable it.

Then check the box to select all items in the table "Allowed Devices that are not currently connected" and Delete them all.

Then check the box to select all items in the table "Blocked Devices that are not currently connected" and Delete them all.

I, personally find no value in the Access Control feature, and leave it not enabled.

With a gigabit ISP connection, 6mb download speed is clearly "not right".  What device is reporting this speed and how is it connected to the system?

Message 2 of 3
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RBR50 and 1 RBS50 slow

Hello dajana1,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are getting reports of slow network speeds on your network. However, you also state that your Orbi router reports acceptable network speeds. In addition to @CrimpOn's recommendation, please update your RBR50 to the current firmware which is version 2.7.5.4 (if satellites (RBS50) are connected please be sure to update them first). Verify that all of the attached satellites are operational. Then administer the speed test on the system that is reporting the low network speeds. Below I attached some recommended Orbi Mesh AX systems that provide additional bandwidth for your current network.

Recommended Orbi Mesh System (AX): 

RBK752 - NETGEAR

RBK762S - Orbi Tri-Band Mesh | WiFi 6 System | NETGEAR

Please feel free to visit our Whole Mesh Wifi webpage for all our residential offerings:

NETGEAR'S Mesh WiFi Network Routers + Systems

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7