Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 and very old wifi....

ChrisRM
Aspirant

RBR50 and very old wifi....

I'm trying to resurrect an old Sony Vaio laptop (TR1MP) and it doesn't support the encryption used by the RBR50 kit (PSK/AES). Instead it has WEP or nothing; is there any way of getting this to connect with the more modern kit or is it dead?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50 and very old wifi....

if its got usb ports, you could try an upgraded usb wifi card in it. Just make sure the card is compatible with your system. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Well, it does look like it has an ethernet connection. You could connect to it that route. 

Looked up that laptop and wowsa, its a bit old. 19 years. Not sure if you could upgrade the wifi card in it or if using the usb/ethernet option is the best bet. Kind of up to use on what you're using it for. 

The money to invest in it getting it running, probably isn't worth it as even a cheap netbook is going to have more performance

Message 3 of 4
ChrisRM
Aspirant

Turns out I had an old 802.11n USB widget that works, and it can see the Orbi. I can get into the Orbi router admin page, but it won't go further. I can't get to IBM or Google. I suspect it's not dealing with the DNS server too well ( a Pihole) but more can be done...

Thanks to all....

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7