Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 dropping RDP connections

AASHMANN
Aspirant

RBR50 dropping RDP connections

I'm running an RBR50 with an RBS50. Both are running firmware 2.1.4.16. However, the behavior I'm about to describe started before the firmware update.

The issue I'm trying to solve is that local traffic on my network is failing when ran through the Orbi Wifi System. In particular, I am connecting to Windows Servers and Desktops through display protocols (i.e. RDP, PCoIP and VMware Blast Extreme which run over TCP/UDP ports 3389, 4172 and 8443 respectively). The clients I am leveraging to consume these protocols will either freeze or completely disconnect when I connect through Orbi. However, these protocols and clients work just fine if I am hard wired to my network or consuming the broadcast of these protocols past the edge of my network. (All servers are hardwired on the network). I get better performance of these protocols on guest wireless networks accessed 100 miles away from my house than I do in the confines of my own living room.

I don't think this is a latency issue. However, when I ping my gateway while on the wire, I consistently get less than 1ms of latency. However, the same ping over the Orbi affords as high as 10ms of latency with intermitent packet drops.

I do suffer from a lack of performance from Orbi as well when consuming VoIP but I am thinking that will be resolved if I can solve my Display Protocol problem. VoIP over the wire works just fine as well though.

I've tried working with Netgear support over the phone on this issue but we did not get anywhere and it is frustrating tyring to connect with Netgear support as everytime I've tried to call in, I have consistently experienced a 1 hour wait on the phone before I get connected with a technician.

I'd like to fix this problem since the Orbi system was a significant investment above and beyond a tradional Wifi Router and I am past my warranty. However, the routers that it replaced had better reliability than what I am expereincing currently with Orbi. At least I knew that I could reboot my old routers and they would work for a period of time. Reboots of the Orbi do nothing to fix my problem here.

Can anyone provide advise on how I solve my problem?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model # of the ISP modem your Obi is connected too?

What mode is the Orbi router running in? Router or AP mode?

Any network LAN swiches connected after the Orbi router? Mfr and model#? Managed or Non-Managed switches.

So what device are you using for RDP into the remote devices? Are these wireless during the RDP or wired?

How is the satellite connected to the router? Wireless or wired back haul?

Message 2 of 7
AASHMANN
Aspirant

Hello Furrye38.

My appologies on the late response. Below is a Visio I drew up in regard to my network. Here is the summary of answers to your questions: 

- Modem = Zoom 5370

- Orbi Mode = AP Mode

- note: This is due to DNS and DHCP needing to be managed via Ubiquiti and Windows Domain in VMware ESXi

- No Switches after the Orbi (see details in Visio)

- Test Clients:

- Teradici Zero Client hardwired to RBS50 (Consuming PCoIP - Not RDP)

- MacBook Pro Hard wired to 24 Port TrendNet (works great) - All Display Protocols

- MacBook Pro Over Orbi RBR50 (Same MacBook when disconnected from TrendNet Switch (Does not work great) - All Display Protocols

- RBS50 connection to RBR50 is wireless

As you can see in the below diagram, Internet Connectivity has nothing to do with the equation as all traffic is locallized over the Linksys SE2500/TrendNet SEG-S24G. As I write this, I could point a finger potentially at Linksys. I will try and take the Linksys out of the equation to see if that makes a difference.

HomeNetwork.jpg

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you connect two clients to the back of the Orbi router wired and RDP between the two of them? 

Then try one device wireless to the Orbi router and one still wired to the Orbi router? 

Message 4 of 7
AASHMANN
Aspirant

Hello Furrye38,

Great suggestion for a test which results I hope will be helpful in determining a root cause.

Test1: Windows RDP Target Connected to TendNET and OSX RDP Client on TrendNET = RDP performs as expected.

Test2: Windows RDP Target Hardwired to RBR50 and OSX RDP Client on TrendNet = RDP performs as expected.

Test3: Windows RDP Target Hardwired to RBR50 and OSX RDP Client Hardwired to RBR50 = RDP performs as expected.

Test4: Windows RDP Target Hardwired to RBR50 and OSX RDP Client Wifi Connected to RBR50 = RDP performs with undesired performance.

With the above tests, I feel it is safe to say that only wireless connections through the RBR50 are where the problems are occuring. All clients that I am working with are connecting over 5G to the RBR50 (inculding the RBS50). I could play with the channels the 5G is broadcasting with (currently set to 48) but that is the only knob I can think of that could make a difference.

Any further recomendations?

One thing I am considering is connecting the RBS50 over a ethernet-over-power adapter as I have a couple at my disposal. The only thing I was worred about here is that if that cirucut goes down, will the RBS50 default back to the 5G connection. Any thoughts on this?

Message 5 of 7
AASHMANN
Aspirant

BTW,

I just tired the RBS50 backhaul as wired which is connected with a belkin ethernet-over-power adapter. The performance is worse than when the RBS50 was connected via 5G. Still needs some work when connected over 5G, but I can rule out the ethernet-over-power as a potential solution.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that This configuration is the problem. Something with OSX being wireless with the main base router?

Does Windows and OSX connected wirelessly with router have the same issue?

"Test4: Windows RDP Target Hardwired to RBR50 and OSX RDP Client Wifi Connected to RBR50 = RDP performs with undesired performance."

What frequency is the Mac connecting to when wireless with the router? 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7