× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 dropping packets

milklksubstance
Aspirant

RBR50 dropping packets

I have a RBR50 updated to latest firmware (2.5.0.38). Prior to installing this firmware version, everything was working fine. After installing this firmware, my Orbi is now randomly not responding to any network requests, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes. This is the only Orbi device on the network; I have no other routers or APs (but I do have some "dumb" switches connected in a star topology).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 dropping packets

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 17
milklksubstance
Aspirant

Yes, I have done a factory reset.

Message 3 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@milklksubstance wrote:

I have a RBR50 updated to latest firmware (2.5.0.38). Prior to installing this firmware version, everything was working fine.

This should tell you something.

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are you seeing lost packets with a wired PC connected to the RBR? 

How about checking for loss of packets directly with a wired PC behind the modem? 

I supposed you can go back to prior working version of FW...

@milklksubstance wrote:

I have a RBR50 updated to latest firmware (2.5.0.38). Prior to installing this firmware version, everything was working fine. After installing this firmware, my Orbi is now randomly not responding to any network requests, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes. This is the only Orbi device on the network; I have no other routers or APs (but I do have some "dumb" switches connected in a star topology).

Message 5 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Makes no difference on the modem....."Prior to installing this firmware version, everything was working fine."......

Message 6 of 17
milklksubstance
Aspirant

Upon further review, the problem only happens on wireless. Wired devices work fine, Speedtest from Orbi works fine.

When the wireless is "working", packets are still being dropped. Problem occurs regardless of channel, on both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands.

@Retired_Member wrote:

@milklksubstance wrote:

I have a RBR50 updated to latest firmware (2.5.0.38). Prior to installing this firmware version, everything was working fine.

I would love to go back to .30. How do I do that?

Message 7 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@milklksubstance wrote:

Upon further review, the problem only happens on wireless. Wired devices work fine, Speedtest from Orbi works fine.

When the wireless is "working", packets are still being dropped. Problem occurs regardless of channel, on both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands.

@Retired_Member wrote:

@milklksubstance wrote:

I would love to go back to .30. How do I do that?

Go to the download page, enter your gear and see if there is an eariler version available.

Message 8 of 17
milklksubstance
Aspirant

This was probably overkill, but I went back to 2.2.1.212, did a factory reset on that firmware, upgraded to 2.3.0.32, changed all my settings to where I wanted them one by one while checking wireless speed at every step (it dropped each time!), then upgraded directly to 2.5.0.38.  I do not experience the long connection drops I used to, but the wireless does still drop for about a couple seconds from time to time.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
Do you have a RBS or is this just the RBR only? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Is 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@milklksubstance wrote:

This was probably overkill, but I went back to 2.2.1.212, did a factory reset on that firmware, upgraded to 2.3.0.32, changed all my settings to where I wanted them one by one while checking wireless speed at every step (it dropped each time!), then upgraded directly to 2.5.0.38.  I do not experience the long connection drops I used to, but the wireless does still drop for about a couple seconds from time to time.

Message 10 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Is Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Is 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@milklksubstance wrote:

Please stop

Message 11 of 17
ryanaroha
Star

@milklksubstance wrote:

Glad to hear it's better!

Bummer to hear that you spent so much time on it.

Also bummer to hear that wireless still drops.

The last week has been quite maddening for my wife and I. Like many other community members posting in the last week, we went from a flawless pre-2.5.0.38 experience to constant connection dropping and slowness. About 12 hours ago I finally did the downgrade to v2.3.5.30. First the Satellite ... then waited to see if that by itself made a difference. Nope. Still dropping completely off the network. So I went ahead and did the RBR as well.

Since then I'm back to the way things have been for years -- i.e., my laptop hasn't dropped off the wifi a single time.

@netgear, get your **bleep** together.

Message 12 of 17
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

I'm having the same "blackouts" after upgrading to the latest firmware. It only happens on wifi and seems completely random.

I will reverse to an older version this afternoon. Hopfully this issue will be fixed in the near future in a new firmware.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@SkywalkerPD wrote:

I'm having the same "blackouts" after upgrading to the latest firmware. It only happens on wifi and seems completely random.

I will reverse to an older version this afternoon. Hopfully this issue will be fixed in the near future in a new firmware.

and stop doing manual firmware updates

Message 14 of 17
milklksubstance
Aspirant

Okay, went back to firmware 2.3.1.60, and everything appears to be normal.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The house I am in is an 1100 sq ft split-level. I am only running the RBR50 on this setup, no RBS. (The RBS that came in the RBK I purchased was moved to join another RBK setup somewhere else.)

I am on manual channel 11 for 2.4GHz and channel 48 for 5GHz. Plenty of neighboring WiFi nearby; 11 is the cleanest option on 2.4 (I haven't checked 5GHz). MU-MIMO and Beamforming are off, WMM and 20/40 Coexistence are on.

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time try a factory reset and setup from scratch after FW is updated. Does work for others. 

@SkywalkerPD wrote:

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

So where you still seeing problems after resetting and downgrading and upgrading as you mentioned earlier? 

@milklksubstance wrote:

Okay, went back to firmware 2.3.1.60, and everything appears to be normal.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The house I am in is an 1100 sq ft split-level. I am only running the RBR50 on this setup, no RBS. (The RBS that came in the RBK I purchased was moved to join another RBK setup somewhere else.)

I am on manual channel 11 for 2.4GHz and channel 48 for 5GHz. Plenty of neighboring WiFi nearby; 11 is the cleanest option on 2.4 (I haven't checked 5GHz). MU-MIMO and Beamforming are off, WMM and 20/40 Coexistence are on.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series