Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 expansion

wjbonds
Aspirant

RBR50 expansion

Hi all and thanks in advance.

I have the Orbi RBR50 router with one RBS50 satellite. Home is 3000 sq. feet with several interior walls.  Modem speed currently is 200 MbPS through my cable provider (Optimum).  My network is barely acceptable and often slows to a crawl.  Would it be advisable to add a 2nd RBS50 satellite or junk everything and start from scratch?  Also, if I add a satellite is it just plug and play?  I am not extremely tech-savy and would not want to make my situation worse than it is now.

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 7
vajim
Master

Re: RBR50 expansion

modem?

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@wjbonds wrote:

I have the Orbi RBR50 router with one RBS50 satellite. Home is 3000 sq. feet with several interior walls.  Modem speed currently is 200 MbPS through my cable provider (Optimum).  My network is barely acceptable and often slows to a crawl.  Would it be advisable to add a 2nd RBS50 satellite or junk everything and start from scratch?  Also, if I add a satellite is it just plug and play?

More information would be required to propose a solution.  There are some general statements that can be made up front:

• WiFi access points work "omnidirectionally" (in a circle around the device).  In a typical building, the higher speed (5G) WiFi frequency fades rapidly and at much past 30 feet starts to produce lower throughput.
  • This circular pattern means that an Orbi placed next to an exterior wall wastes about half of its coverage outdoors.  ISP connections are often next to exterior walls.
  • If the router and satellite are close together, a good portion of their coverage overlaps, which does is also "wasted".
  • Generally, the idea is to locate the satellite as far away as it can go and still get a "Good" signal, which depends on building construction and is usually somewhere between 30 and 50 feet.  If this placement works out, the total area with good coverage can approach 5,000 sq. ft., but is often less.
  • So, "Yes. It might ge a good idea to add a second satellite."
  • And, "Yes, adding a second satellite is very simple." Not totally "Plug and Play", but pretty simple.

Before spending a lot of money, it is probably a good idea to document the problem.

• How is the modem speed being measured?
  • Does this "slows to a crawl" problem exist everywhere in the house, or only in some places?
  • How frequent is this problem?
  • How many neighbor WiFi systems surround you?
Message 3 of 7
vajim
Master

did we identify the modem?

Message 4 of 7
wjbonds
Aspirant

Thanks for trying to help.  The modem is an Arris TM804

Message 5 of 7
wjbonds
Aspirant

Thank you - Modem is an Arris TM804

Message 6 of 7
vajim
Master

@wjbonds wrote:

Thank you - Modem is an Arris TM804

that modem has the telephony support?  Not sure that it will work with the Orbi.

The only NG modem that supports phone is the CM1150v;

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/CableModems/CM1150V.pdf

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7