Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - multiple devices getting kicked off

qsource
Tutor

RBR50 - multiple devices getting kicked off

When I first installed the the Orbi RBR50+RBS50 (about a month ago) with optical internet, the system performed great. The optical continues to perform well (500Mb/sec up and down), but the RBR50 has started to kick devices off the network. This appears to be wifi only and (so far ... knock on wood) not affecting the RBS50. Wired connections do not complain of network loss.

This is affecting a phone, iPad, and at least one laptop. As you can imagine, it's incredibly frustrating.

I opened a call with my internet provider. They see no issues from their optical modem or network. When connected to other wifi networks, none of these devices get dropped.

It seems likely to me that the RBR50 needs to be replaced. Other options welcome though...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - multiple devices getting kicked off

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
I

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 12
qsource
Tutor

I responded to this once. If this reply also gets removed, I won't be visiting these forums if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your response.

• Our home is about 2k square feet. The router and satellite are less than 30 feet apart (though they do not have line-of-sight). But remember that the booting off only happens on the router, not on the satellite.
  • Our nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. I have seen their SSID at the edge of our property, but not when in our house.
  • I've never seen a device connected at 2.4Gz. It's set to auto channel.
  • 5Ghz is set to channel 58 and has been since day one.
  • I upgraded the firmware to 2.5.1.16 the day I installed these. The main unit is in router mode.
  • The day that the optical was installed (5 weeks ago), I did a factory reset and tuned everything from there.
  • Zoom, RDP, and a few other internet apps were getting terrible performance until I disabled WMM.
  • Disabled: fast-roaming, daisy-chain, WMM, 20/40 coexist, IPv6, Armor, and Circle. These have all been turned off for a while.
  • Enabled: beamforming (been on for a while) and MU-MIMO (enabled today).
  • Preamble is set to automatic, but I can try short mode later if the problems continue.
  • 20/40Mhz coexist is disabled, but I can try 40Mhz if the problems continue.
  • I know nothing about the optical modem. I can get those details, but this does not appear to be related to the optical router.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 12
qsource
Tutor

Oops. 5Ghz channel should be 48.

@qsource wrote:

I responded to this once. If this reply also gets removed, I won't be visiting these forums if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your response.

• Our home is about 2k square feet. The router and satellite are less than 30 feet apart (though they do not have line-of-sight). But remember that the booting off only happens on the router, not on the satellite.
  • Our nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. I have seen their SSID at the edge of our property, but not when in our house.
  • I've never seen a device connected at 2.4Gz. It's set to auto channel.
  • 5Ghz is set to channel 58 and has been since day one.
  • I upgraded the firmware to 2.5.1.16 the day I installed these. The main unit is in router mode.
  • The day that the optical was installed (5 weeks ago), I did a factory reset and tuned everything from there.
  • Zoom, RDP, and a few other internet apps were getting terrible performance until I disabled WMM.
  • Disabled: fast-roaming, daisy-chain, WMM, 20/40 coexist, IPv6, Armor, and Circle. These have all been turned off for a while.
  • Enabled: beamforming (been on for a while) and MU-MIMO (enabled today).
  • Preamble is set to automatic, but I can try short mode later if the problems continue.
  • 20/40Mhz coexist is disabled, but I can try 40Mhz if the problems continue.
  • I know nothing about the optical modem. I can get those details, but this does not appear to be related to the optical router.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 5 of 12
qsource
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It still seems very unlikely that this is related to that router. It's a Calix GigaPoint 803G. Honestly, given that it's wifi that the devices are getting kicked off of, the ISP router is only tangentially related.

That being said, since enabling MU-MIMO, neither device has lost wifi connection. We'll see if that track record continues.

Thanks for your input.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Beamforming enabled as well? 

Message 7 of 12
qsource
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is Beamforming enabled as well? 

Yes. See above.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Odd that having MIMO disabled seem to be causing problems. 

Let it run enabled for a while then let us know results. Hopefully this will fix this for you. 

Message 9 of 12
qsource
Tutor

I agree that this setting makes no sense as "the fix", but so far (knock on wood) we are not seeing the issues again.

Thanks for your input!

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 12
qsource
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Yeah, I always have at least the 3 last configs handy. Thanks!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7