Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 pulse white, then flash green and red and reboots endless

RJSinMO
Guide

RBR50 pulse white, then flash green and red and reboots endless

I have an RBR50 that about a week ago hung up.  I powered off and on and now it just pulses white and then will do a quick flash of green and flash of red (on top ring).  I factory reset it, and even applied latest firmware, and it came up briefly.  But, it seems every time I change the SSID to my network and thus all the devices try to jump on, it goes right back to endless rebooting loop.  I do see the SSID pop-up momentarily on my devices, and a computer with network cable gets a signal briefly also, just before it starts the next reboot.

The RBR50 is from 2018, so well out of warranty, so I assume Netgear won't help.  Any thoughts, or is this thing just dead?

Message 1 of 4
RJSinMO
Guide

Re: RBR50 pulse white, then flash green and red and reboots endless

I've confirmed a few things.  If I factory reset it, and it comes up with the ORBI02 SSID, it is fine, and I can connect to it from my laptop.  If I change it to something else, it is fine.  But as soon as I change it to the SSIS that it has been for 5 years and all of my devices connect to, then the RBR50 crashes as soon as it comes up and goes into a booting loop.  Most recent devices I can think I added are some cameras, so I'll try turning most devices off and adding them one at a time.  However, when Orbi is down, I'm changing my T-Mobile router to that SSID and all the devices connect to it just fine.  So, even if it is a particular device, this should NOT be crashing ORBI.

Message 2 of 4
RJSinMO
Guide

Well, it seems like one of the satellite's was hanging it up.  Once I turned off that satellite, the main router fired right up.  

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 
How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7