Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 upgrade

Philip_Timms
Aspirant

RBR50 upgrade

I have an RBK50 set up - one RBR50 router and one RBS50 satellite. I am feeling the need for just a bit more power and coverage to be able to use an outdoor satellite properly (and, yes, I have the latest firmware!) - what would the next step up be in the Orbi universe?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 upgrade

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What is the distance between the outdoor RBS and the RBR? 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Philip_Timms wrote:

I have an RBK50 set up - one RBR50 router and one RBS50 satellite. I am feeling the need for just a bit more power and coverage to be able to use an outdoor satellite properly (and, yes, I have the latest firmware!) - what would the next step up be in the Orbi universe?

"Step Up" is a complicated question, because that basically involves what we used to call a "fork lift upgrade".  i.e. change out everything.  The obvious advice is to go with a WiFi 6 system, but which one??? (from which vendor and which model)  Are you so enamored with Netgear Orbi that you will only consider a "better" Orbi?

Message 3 of 4
Philip_Timms
Aspirant

Hi

The distance from the router to the satellite is about 10m vertically, 8 m horizontally through a substantial brick and timber Victorian building.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7