Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 v2 firmware update -automatic upgrade not working. Need advice, please

Atlixnor
Guide

RBR50 v2 firmware update -automatic upgrade not working. Need advice, please

NETGEAR Router Orbi 2023-10-16 16-57-04.pngWhy is the GUI automatic fw update not finding a new firmware?

The current fw is 2.7.4.24, and I am based in Europe. Is this the reason the automatic fw is not working?

I want to upgrade to the latest, which is 2.7.54

I remember there were some issues with Orbi when updating firmware. Do I still have to factory-reset both the router and the 2 satellites, or can I at least try with a  manual upgrade first? (First the two satellites, then the router).

Any other advice?

The reason I now am forced to upgrade, is that the brand new phone, Google Pixel 8, is having great issues with this mesh network. I don´t know if this is Google´s fault or Netgear, but the phone works fine with other 2.4/5 mesh networks I have tried + also works fine with a 2.4 GHx Tp-Link network I tried in my home simultaneously with the Orbi network.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 v2 firmware update -automatic upgrade not working. Need advice, please

Sometimes NG doesn't put up FW to the AU services. So if you want to update FW, you can manually update FW.

RBS first then RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-...

Message 2 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 v2 firmware update -automatic upgrade not working. Need advice, please

@Atlixnor wrote:

Why is the GUI automatic fw update not finding a new firmware?

:

The new firmware was released in February, 2023.  The release notes mention "bug fix" and "security ...

https://kb.netgear.com/000065539/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-5-4 

But nowhere in the release notes does it mention anything about region. (i.e. US vs. Europe)

It is well-known that Netgear gives customers some time to download and install new firmware before making the release generally available through the Firmware Update process, and then waits for another period before pushing the new firmware without notice.  Steps in this process are not documented or published.

My guess is that whoever was supposed to monitor the firmware status of this product from 2016 either (a) forgot, or (b) was reassigned to other tasks, or (c) no longer works at Netgear.  And no one has discovered the lapse.

Can you describe the problems with the Pixel 8 in more detail.

Message 3 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

ok. I upgraded satellites, router, and shut down everything and turned it on in the right direction (modem, router, satellites).

Wifi is again working fine for everything except my expensive Pixel 8 Pro. I cannot believe it is not working. It is flapping on and off. I will provide a video and wifi settings here soon. Google is going to start monitoring my phone to troubleshoot this also unless you guys finds a solution fast.

Message 4 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

Message 5 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

I would put money on Google figuring out the problem before we Old Fuddies brainstorm a solution.

This should not happen.

Message 6 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

NETGEAR Router Orbi 2023-10-16 21-16-55.pngNETGEAR Router Orbi 2023-10-16 21-17-15.png

Message 7 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the delightful video.  The Pixel 8 Pro supports all sorts of WiFi standards that are not provided by the 802.11ac Orbi product (802.11ax [WiFi6} - WiFi6E - WiFi7). One would certainly think that "backward compatibility" would be "no problem."

Would it be convenient to:

• Temporarily power off the TP-Link WiFi system.
  • Temporarily disable LTE data on the phone.
  • Uncheck the 20/40 compatibility option on the Orbi.
  • "Forget" those three WiFi network SSIDs.
  • Attempt to connect again?

Message 8 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

hi,

Thanks for your advice. I wil test this later today. That is about the only option I have not tried, bu tI thought about it (20/40 coexistence). Hopefully it is this, because it works fine other places. The TP-Link is not connected anymore as well at the moment, just running on 4G.

Message 9 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Please report the results.  If I had $1,000 to burn, I'd buy one myself to see what happens.  Alas, I am the one remaining person in the world who wants a small phone.  Even if it cost less, I would not choose a Pixel 8 Pro.

I would imagine Samsung has a test lab full of different WiFi systems where they validate new products.  Would be so useful if Samsung support could escalate this question to someone who can investigate it.

Message 10 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

yes, will do. Yes, difficult choice, the Pro might not be worth it, but it has the temperature sensor and much better AI computation. Otherwise I would have gone for the other. And I presume you meant Google, not Samsung. They asked for permission to track my phone to look into it.

Message 11 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry for the typo.  Pixel is Google, not Samsung.  "My Bad".

Message 12 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

hello, did not help, unfortunately.

Message 13 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Just bizarre. Guess you tried the Guest WiFi as well?

Message 14 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

yes, the problem is the same, and as you know I cannot even turn off 5GHz. I tried the trick to set the signal strength to 25%, but it is still unstable. Don´t know what to do now, Google seems to want to give me a new phone, but I told them it most likely will not help me. It works fine with other networks.

Message 15 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

On the RBR50, there is an option to disable broadcasting the SSID on 5GHz.  If you "forget" the Orbi WiFi, perhaps it will detect only the 2.4G SSID and connect to it.  (newer models of Orbi removed this feature. Those of us "stuck in the past" still have it.)

CrimpOn_0-1697570135964.png

My guess is that every device already connected at 5G will remain connected, and only the Pixel 8 will come up with only the 2.4G SSID.  (Or, the whole network could go to hell.  Or... the Pixel 8 will attempt to connect to a 5G WiFi anyway???)

I would try it just to see what happens.

p.s. Sounds like Google is motivated.  What do you have to lose?

Message 16 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

Tried turning off the 5GHz broadcast, and both the wifi networks still go on and off...I am pretty sure this must have to do with neighbor 5GHz interference, since the TPlink was working. I have tried different channels, and I have now moved to a different channel again. I also still think something is wrong with my Google Pixel Pro. Why do I have no problems with Sasung devices on it + my Aplle Macbook Pro M1?

Message 17 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

No, even with only one neighbor on Ch48, it wont work. Attach: 2.4GHz

Message 18 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

attachm showing 5GHz environment

Message 19 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

Message 20 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

Hmm.I want to downgrade from 2.7.54. The reason is that Google said they fixed this issue in their December update, and it didn´t. And today I discovered that aslo Samsung devices have a problem with disconnecting and connecting on this latest version. Which version should I downgrade to? And can I just install like I did when upgrading? Satellites first. then the router.

I see there is a new fw. Will try that first, but is it ok to downgrade also like I described?

I see it only adresses SPC bugs? What is that? and Armor bugs. Maybe not worth trying the new one, then?

Message 21 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

v2.7.5.4 is the latest firmware (released in Feb, 2023).  If you look closely at the Orbi web management, there is probably a period between the 5 and 4 on your router firmware version.

Yes, any manual firmware update works the same way

• Download and upzip
  • Connect to each satellite web interface and upload firmware
  • Connect to router web interface and upload firmware

There is one "gotcha" lurking.  Whereas Netgear finally added a feature to the AX series products to allow the user to enable/disable Automatic Firmware (without asking if the user wants to do so), that feature is not present on the RBR50 product.  If Netgear finally decides, "It's time", they can push v2.7.5.4 onto your system. (or any newer version than the one you loaded)

I am aware of a major crisis involving the newest version of iOS (17) and lots of WiFi systems (not just Netgear).  Am not aware of any issue with Android/Wiindows problems.  My RBR50 has been on v2.7.5.4 since last February and all my Android/Windows/Apple/Nest devices work just fine.

Message 22 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

My disconnection stopped on the Samsung S21 when I reverted back to 2.7.4.24

Now I will have to stop the store from sending my Pixel 8 Pro to google for investigation. There is a chance now that their December update actually fixed my problem, so have to extinguish that possibility before they wipe my device and maybe say nothing is wrong with it.

Message 23 of 26
Atlixnor
Guide

So I reset to factory settings. So far all devices are stable (Also Google Pixel 8 Pro). Wifi channel is Auto. I notice the advanced wifi settings for default are quite different from what was recommended here some years back. What should I tweak there as a minimum? I do not want to cause any instability again.

Message 24 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7