× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 wifi speeds slow despite 1Gb fiber plan from Frontier

mdragon24
Aspirant

RBR50 wifi speeds slow despite 1Gb fiber plan from Frontier

Hi Everyone, I have a RBR50v2 which was previously hooked up to a Spectrum modem w/ a 400mb down 20 up plan. No issues for years. I recently switched the modem to a frontier modem for a 1GB fiber plan and have been having issues. 

I hard reset the router and upon refresh, the router has only been able to output 100mb down and upload 200 mb for any device connected through wifi through speedtest.net / google's speedtest. The Orbi app does confirm that the modem is sending 1GB down and 1GB up as the Orbi app speedtest is showing roughly those speeds.

What could be the issue? It seems like something related to the router's wifi settings.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdragon24
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 wifi speeds slow despite 1Gb fiber plan from Frontier

I called Netgear support and they had me change my channels off auto to some other channels as well as set my DNS settings off auto and to Googles DNS settings (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). This pretty much solved the issue! Getting around 520 download and ~400 upload. I'd say that's pretty good and likely the most i'll get. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

This indeed is not what one would expect.  People often have unrealistic expectations about performance over WiFi connections.  (Try internet searches for "WiFi speed to expect", etc.)

However, in this case, something does appear to be "not right".  My RBR50 delivers 360Mbps from a Spectrum cable connection, which is actually more than they guarantee.  But, that is certainly more than 100Mbps.  And, the same speed is reported by

• The router Speed Test
  • A computer hard wired to the router
  • Various devices connected over WiFi (laptop, tablet, smartphone)

What sort of devices are reporting this puny speed?

How are they connected to WiFi?

• Directly to the router or to a satellite?
  • At 5G or 2.4G?
Message 2 of 5
mdragon24
Aspirant

- Iphone 14 pro

- Macbook M2 pro

Are just two examples of over 15 devices in the home that are all reporting slower than normal speeds. They're connected directly through the 2.4/5ghz wifi network through a home of around 1300 sq ft. There is one RBR50 router and 2 satellites. I even tested turning off the satellites and connecting devices to wifi directly to the router. But same issue, roughly 100mbps down and 200mbps upload. 

What do you think could be happening here?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
mdragon24
Aspirant

I called Netgear support and they had me change my channels off auto to some other channels as well as set my DNS settings off auto and to Googles DNS settings (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). This pretty much solved the issue! Getting around 520 download and ~400 upload. I'd say that's pretty good and likely the most i'll get. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7