Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 with 1 RBS50s - Wifi Calling Drops Constantly - on latest firmware V2.7.2.102

hartcb
Tutor

RBR50 with 1 RBS50s - Wifi Calling Drops Constantly - on latest firmware V2.7.2.102

Hi All,

I've been working on this issue for 2+ months and have made all the rounds - to Apple, to Verizon, and read through all the forums here for similar issues.

It seems no matter what I try, I get get wifi calling to stop dropping on my network. It worked for 2 years and then started dropping about 2.5 months ago. I've updated my firmware to the latest on all three devices: firmware V2.7.2.102, I've replaced the iPhones (now two 12 Pros, and an 11).

The symptom is a wifi call will start for 2-5 minutes and then fails every single time. It doesn't matter if I have cell service turned off (airplane mode) and am on wifi only or not.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
hartcb
Tutor

Re: RBR50 with 1 RBS50s - Wifi Calling Drops Constantly - on latest firmware V2.7.2.102

UPDATE - xfinity modem replaced, connectors on my line snipped and reconnected, and wifi calling seems to be working. 20 minute call is just completed and still running. I believe that was ultimately the issue.

So, after investigating with Netgear equipment, Apple phones, my network, various settings, etc... it came down to the cable / internet provider. I don't know that I'll ever know what caused it, but happy it appears to be fixed! Hopefully, this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 24

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 with 1 RBS50s - Wifi Calling Drops Constantly - on latest firmware V2.7.2.102

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 24
hartcb
Tutor

Thanks for the response - please see below:

• The ISP Modem is a xfinity XB6-A
  • Home size is 2,000 square ft. plus or minus (with 1 router and 2 satellites I have very strong signal throughout the house)
  • Distance router to satellite is 15 ft. (but going through a couple of walls) on one and 25 ft. (going through a door) for the other. This has been the configuration for 2 years or so with no issues until the last 2.5 months.
  • 2.4Ghz was Auto, changed setting to manual channel 1
  • Wifi Neighbors - just one shows up and only 2 bars (ATT)
  • Beamforming and MIMO were already enabled from prior post suggestions - left those on
  • Factory reset and setup - done just before I updated to the latest firmware today.
  • Per the other post you included a link to I have now given both satellites static IP addresses as well.
  • All other configurations are as you suggested.

RESULT: wifi calling is still dropping after 2-3 minutes on average, this continues to happen if I am on wifi only (airplane mode with VZW Wi-Fi on the iPhone), or have the cellular on (my at home cell service is terrible, hence the need for wifi calling - definitely is harming my work at this point...)

Message 3 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem working in? Router or modem only. Thats a modem with built in wifi and router I believe. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

The 1 RBS thats 15 feet from the RBR is too close. 30 feet is needed. 2000sq ft maybe too small an area for two RBS. Try turning OFF 1 of the RBS. 

Message 4 of 24
hartcb
Tutor

Thanks again, please see below:

1. Xfinity XB6 was already set to bridge mode - just confirmed that
  2. Wi-Fi disabled on Xfinity XB6
  3. Orbi is in router mode
  4. That's interesting, I didn't realize too close was an issue. What would be strange is that it worked like this for a couple of years with nothing changing and then stopped, but stranger things have happened. I moved both satellites farther away from the router - now one is about 35 feet and the other is about 30 (we have the space). The irony would be that I thought I should be moving closer if anything!

RESULT: Just hit 10 minutes on a wifi only test call for the first time in a long time. I'm hopeful that this could be the fix I have been looking for! I'll update here after running some additional tests over the next day or so. If this is the fix, it would be helpful for others pulling their hair out to know that this particular sub-optimal physical configuration of less than 30 feet causes this specific wifi-calling drop issue (maybe these keywords help) - would have saved me about 12 hours of my life 🙂

Message 5 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Hopefully this is all thats needed. 

Message 6 of 24
hartcb
Tutor

Alas, 3 fails in the last 15 minutes - seems like that wasn't the issue. 

Any further ideas are appreciated...

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

So lets turn OFF both RBS. Try a test call with your wifi phone connected to the RBR...same thing still happens? 

Message 8 of 24
vajim
Master

Whata you wanna bet this is the problem:    V2.7.2.102,

Message 9 of 24
hartcb
Tutor

This issue has been going on for the last 3-4 firmware versions, so unless it was introduced a few revisions ago and not fixed it seems unlikely.
Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if there maybe phone issue rather then a FW issue. Possible HW issue with Orbi as well. If this has been on going for past few versions, could be something else. I just did a call with my iphone connected to my RBS, though the call was about 2 minute...didn't see any problems so far. 

You might try this, change your ISP modem back to router mode. Disable ALL wifi on the modem. Configure AP mode on the RBR. Just the RBR alone and test phone calling with the RBR in AP mode...Mines currenly in AP mode. 

@hartcb wrote:
This issue has been going on for the last 3-4 firmware versions, so unless it was introduced a few revisions ago and not fixed it seems unlikely.

Message 11 of 24
hartcb
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I've done a bit more experimenting, see below:

1. Turned off both RBS satellites and did a wifi call - I was able to have a 8 minute call before it dropped - both phones were connected to the RBR at the time.
  2. I did an experimental call from a Starbucks wifi network to an external number, so nowhere near my network, and had a 15 minute wifi call with no issues. This suggests to me that the phone and/or wifi calling generally from the iPhone is not the issue (please note also that this issue has been across 6 devices - all iPhones - models 6, XR * 2, 11, 12 * 2 - so it seems like that rules out the phones).
  3. I did as you suggested - ISP modem set to router mode with wifi networks disabled, RBR set to AP mode. Both RBS satellites were turned off, both phones connected to the RBR. Wifi call lasted over 17 minutes, and I suspect it would have kept going but I moved to step #4.
  4. Turned back on both RBS satellites to see if works in that configuration - called failed after 2 minutes, then failed twice more. I was watching on the mobile app to see what device the phones were connected to and it seemed like potentially calls failed as the phone switched from RBR to one of the RBS units. Is that likely? Have you heard of wifi calling failing when a RBR is paried with satellites? If so, that is strange to crop up after two years.

Message 12 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Seams like there failing with the RBS and not the RBR. 

What happens with just 1 RBS connected and the other turned off? 

Is Fast Roaming enabled on the RBR? If if its, disable it and test with the phone and just 1 RBS. 

I'm wondering if the phone is roaming and changing from the RBR to the RBS and the call gets dropped here...

Message 13 of 24
vajim
Master

Chasing firmware can not be fun 

Message 14 of 24
hartcb
Tutor

Fast roaming has been turned off during this process. 

1. I just tested with one RBS off and the other RBS (and RBR) turned on - calls dropped after a few mintues
  2. Reverted to the RBR only model, and while calls went a bit longer, also dropped in this configuration unfortunately. However, this was with cellular and wifi on.
  3. Tested with RBR only in airplane mode, and failed after 3 minutes - was trying to rule out switching between cell and wifi calling service and did that.

I'm completely out of ideas...

Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

So Beamforming, MIMO and WMM is enabled? 

Daisy Chain disabled? 

I'm using manual channel 11 and 48...

You can try setting CTS to 2307 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

So if you turn OFF the RBR and re-enabled the wifi radios on the modem, wifi calling works? 

Message 16 of 24
vajim
Master

Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 24
hartcb
Tutor

So, continued testing and I think I've narrowed it down to an Comcast Xfinity issue: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/WiFi-calling-drops-repeatedly/m-p/3398290/highlight/...

I did connect directly to the Xfinity modem with wifi on, turned all Netgear Orbi devices off and still had the same dropping issue. So, it can't be the Orbi network, it can't be the iPhone since that worked in airplane mode on a different wifi network (Starbucks), so by default it must be Xfinity.

I also have a ticket with Apple engineering and they advised to test with "cellular data" turned off to see if that did anything - nope.

Opening a ticket with comcast, but not too optimistic given other people's experiences in the above thread. Thanks much @FURRYe38 for all the advice and troubleshooting. That definitely helped me narrow down to the likely suspect.

Message 18 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. Ya I have put my RBK50 online in router mode today. I haven't had a chance to test wifi calling yet. 

Sounds like you are now going the right direction. Hopefully your ISP can get this fixed. 

Message 19 of 24
hartcb
Tutor

Comcast coming on 12/31 - they said "the signals are complete and our system determined that there is an signals issue and we need to send tech to check the wiring's and the equipment"

Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok then. Let us know how it goes after that. Be sure the tech watches you run some wired tests for speed before they leave. 

Message 21 of 24
hartcb
Tutor

UPDATE - xfinity modem replaced, connectors on my line snipped and reconnected, and wifi calling seems to be working. 20 minute call is just completed and still running. I believe that was ultimately the issue.

So, after investigating with Netgear equipment, Apple phones, my network, various settings, etc... it came down to the cable / internet provider. I don't know that I'll ever know what caused it, but happy it appears to be fixed! Hopefully, this helps someone else.

Message 22 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the problem. Someting I was leaning towards. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 24
vajim
Master

Glad you found the fix 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7