Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50

Rgwelker
Tutor

RBR50

The Orbi won’t allow 2 new iPhones to connect to my network longer than a few minutes before toggling them to blocked in access list. I slide the switch to allow them then it first toggles one off then the other. Has anyone had to deal with this issue.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Please deactivate "Access Control" in the web GUI:

Namnlöst.png

And then click Apply.

This will clean all your Access Contol list. If you want to use the feature for other devices then add them again.

Message 2 of 17
Rgwelker
Tutor

Thank you. But isn’t my network less secure by not using access control?
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Access Control is only for what you want or don't want to connect to your local side of the network for whom ever is in your household. Like setting up times frames for kids who want access and when parents don't want them to have access. This doesn't do anything for who tries to connect from the outside or the Internet side. The firewall automatically handles that. 

@Rgwelker wrote:
Thank you. But isn’t my network less secure by not using access control?

Message 4 of 17
Rgwelker
Tutor

Excuse my ignorance. So is access control different from MAC filtering?
Message 5 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@Rgwelker wrote:
Excuse my ignorance. So is access control different from MAC filtering?

Correct, Access Cotrol in Orbi is MAC filtering.

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if Access Control on Orbi uses same methods as Mac Filtering. I presume it probably does. Again it's for only managing devices on the LAN side of the router. 

Message 7 of 17
Rgwelker
Tutor

So if someone was sitting outside my house at the street and hacked the password to my network and access control was off they would be into my network? With access control turned on they would not be able to get in as long as the box marked block all new devices was checked. I turned it off, hit apply then waited a few minutes. Turned it back on and it continues to google my kids iPhones off or to blocked status.
Message 8 of 17
Rgwelker
Tutor

That should be toggle not google.
Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume so...If they can do that. LOL. 

Message 10 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Please do the following:

- Go to Access Control in GUI.

- Mark all devices by selecting all radio buttons beside all listed devices

- Click ALLOW

- Uncheck "Turn on Access Cotrol" on the top

- Click Apply

I hope that this procedure will clean up your "Access Control" list.

After that you can check the "Turn on Access Cotrol" again and select "Block all new devices from connecting" if you want but do not select any of the devices to individually block. I think this part has a bug in the current software and it will cause many unpredictable behavior.

Message 11 of 17
Rgwelker
Tutor

I tried it but it still won’t let my kids iPhones to be allowed on the network. The weird thing is I have the exact same phone purchased at the same time and I’m not having the problem with mine.
Message 12 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@Rgwelker wrote:
I tried it but it still won’t let my kids iPhones to be allowed on the network. The weird thing is I have the exact same phone purchased at the same time and I’m not having the problem with mine.

And are the kids iPhones MAC addresses then listed in the block list under Access Control?

Message 13 of 17
Rgwelker
Tutor

Yes they are.
Message 14 of 17
Rgwelker
Tutor

The access list shows all devices MAC address whether they are blocked or not. The kids phones show them as blocked.
Message 15 of 17
ekhalil
Master

It seems that the Access Control feature still has issues. I saw many similar reports.
I’d recommend to deactivate it for now until the feature is working as it should, hopefully in a coming software update.
Message 16 of 17
Rgwelker
Tutor

I will have to do that for the time being and keep an eye out for a firmware update I guess.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7