Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50v2 Satellite network ports disconnect

simont1981
Tutor

RBR50v2 Satellite network ports disconnect

Good evening folks,

Apologies for posting for help on my first post - but Netgear isn't offering support on an Orbi system that is less than a year old, and only provides me with a link to this forum.... so, apologies, but that is why I am here. I have tried to locate advice, but thought I would at least get a post in, in the meantime; just in case.

I have an ongoing issue with my Orbi satellites - periodically I get a popup on my LG OLED and PS5 reporting that the network cable is unplugged, it only lasts a few seconds, but for the latter system it is enough to completely disconnect me from whatever game I might be playing online and the associated comms too!

Nothing has changed on my network, and I am unaware of the base Orbi doing any recent updates - I have tried switching satellites to see if it was just a failing box, but I get the exact same problem with the second satellite too - I cannot be sure if the base Orbi has the same issues, as the devices connected via Ethernet on that one, aren't monitored/used all the time.

Some details that might help:

All devices (base + 2 satellites) are on FW version 2.7.3.22

The base is on our 1st floor (of 3), where my fibre line comes in - I have the Orbi plugged into my ISP's kit, which is only acting as a modem/gateway an has everything turned off.

Attached to the base Orbi is a PC, a Raspberry Pi running PiHole and a NAS, neither of which seem to suffer any disconnections; but as I say, these aren't monitored/used as regularly as the TV and PS5 - so I probably wouldn't notice any drops there.

I have a satellite on the ground floor - connected to the ports on that are the aforementioned bits of kit, but also an nVidia Shield; that also gets popups about the LAN dropping out now that I think of it.

The last remaining satellite is on the 2nd floor, and has nothing attached to the LAN ports.

When a dropout happens, the only entry in the log is a "DHCP IP" event - I have already set the affected devices to a static IP; so I am unsure why the dropout would create a DHCP request to the Orbi...? I also haven't changed anything relating to lease times, so doubt that the disconnects are linked to an IP release/renew.

I have just dipped into the debug log, and set the following:

Start Debug Log Capture when boot up
Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture
Collect Router Analytic log

The log is presently 'recording' - so hopefully when the problem happens again, I might have a little bit more info to help identify what/where the problem is - presently though, I'm regretting not running cabling and a few switches, the Orbi wasn't a cheap system and to start failing (apparently) so soon, and not have official support for 12 months is a bit.... well.... poor.

I guess the next logical step would be to factory reset the system - but I had to do that once when I stupidly gave into the nagging app prompts, to enable protection; and some terrible Disney thing turned itself on, and bypassed my Raspberry Pi DNS! So ideally, it would be nice not to have to reset the units back to zero again... I would at least like to review some advanced logs to see if there is something afoot; as who knows, it might crop up in a few weeks/months time.

Any pointers are appreciated - in the meantime, I will return to trawling this forum for anyone else who has/had this.

All the best!

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50v2 Satellite network ports disconnect

There is a newer version of firmware for the RBR50/RBS50, v2.7.2.24:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50v2.aspx#download 

If the Firmware Update menu does not install this automatically, it can be downloaded from the web site, unpacked, and then updated using the Manual Update tab on the router. (For the satellites, I prefer to connect directly to the satellite web console by IP address and use the firmware update menu item on the satellite.)

Just to confirm, Static IP means:

• The IP address is configured in the device itself, which means the device should never issue a DHCP request, or
  • The IP address is configured in the router LAN Setup table, which means the device will request an IP address and the router will assign this specific IP to it?

Message 2 of 11
simont1981
Tutor

Many thanks for the reply @CrimpOn.

I am running FW 2.7.3.22, which is surely newer (judging by the release numbering) than the v2.7.2.24 you suggest? Unless that was just a typo and it is v2.7.3.24, in which case thanks for the heads up - I will give that a crack.

No worries on the terminology - I have worked in IT for 21 years now, so I'm alright poking around systems.
Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@simont1981 wrote:
Many thanks for the reply @CrimpOn.

I am running FW 2.7.3.22, which is surely newer (judging by the release numbering) than the v2.7.2.24 you suggest? Unless that was just a typo and it is v2.7.3.24, in which case thanks for the heads up - I will give that a crack.

No worries on the terminology - I have worked in IT for 21 years now, so I'm alright poking around systems.

Sorry for the typo. The current version is v2.7.4.24. (fumble fingers today)

Yes, I am a bit OCD about Static IP.  Which method is being used?

Message 4 of 11
simont1981
Tutor

Thanks @CrimpOn I will check that new FW out, odd how the web UI doesn't see any newer versions than what I have installed - a Microsoft-ism esq 'feature' I guess 😄

The static IPs were assigned via the devices - prior to that, I had reservations set in the Orbi (iirc); I only went to static via the device in response the the DHCP events mentioned in the standard log screen, as I thought it might be worth a punt.

Incidentially, it seems that the base Orbi might also be getting hit by the problem too - as I was remotely connected to the PC attached to a LAN port on the base, and the connection dropped out to it, at the same time as my Shield and LG OLED mentioned that the LAN had disconencted for them.

I did manage to download the debug log file, but so far, I haven't identified anything noteworthy.

I'll give the FW upgrade a try now - with any luck, that sorts it out.

Many thanks

Message 5 of 11
simont1981
Tutor

Sadly, it seems like all of the LAN ports on all Orbi devices are still dropping out.

Planning a rare evening of gaming tonight, so will have to use wireless instead, as Google suggestions seem to indicate this will be fine.

I guess it'll be a factory reset tomorrow, followed by an RMA if issues persist.
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

What actual modem/gateway do you have from your isp? 

I know you said you have everything disabled but how do you actually have it setup? In passthrough mode? with the netgears IP address in its dmz? 

I'm a fan of pihole but I've occasionally had issues with it. 

Have you tried (temporarily) setting the router to use the ISP's dns (or google/cloudfare's) for both IPv4/6 to see if its some issue with the pihole? The pihole doesn't do the best job when its an intermittent issue. 

Message 7 of 11
simont1981
Tutor

It's the THG3000v2 from Vodafone on a 500 Meg line - the DMZ is configured for the IP of the Orbi base, all the Wireless and Firewall settings are disabled on the ISP kit and it's been fine for the last 8 months.

I set my affected devices to wireless last night and when the LAN ports dropped out, I thankfully still had Internet access on them - eventually I unplugged the Ethernet cables though, as the regular popups were annoying me. The odd thing is that I went from getting the issue a handful of times in a week, to numerous times in under an hour yesterday.

I've not touched PiHole to be honest, as the Wireless is working fine, and all that traffic still goes via the Pi - I will try it of course, but highly doubt it will help. I'm thinking a factory reset is the way to go - but I'd prefer to at least get a handle on the issue, so I don't have to factory reset every 10 months (about the length of time I've been with Orbi).
Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Sounds like it could be backhaul related but I'd still try the pihole option. I ran into issues when one specific device was sending to frequent of requests and was running over the limits and the pihole would lock up for short periods. Good thing is there isn't anything to change on the phole, just change the settings on the router and test it. If it doesn't work, you were planning on factory resetting anyway. 

Message 9 of 11
Jeffgear
Luminary

I would be surprised if a DNS or backhaul issue were causing the TV and PS to think their Ethernet cables had been physically disconnected, I'd expect to see a different error type like "no internet" or "unable to resolve...". I'd be inclined to think it was hardware or power issue with that satellite but you've tried swapping satellites so it's unlikely to be two intermittent and identical satellite hardware issues. Did you a swap their power adaptors as well or did you keep to the original satellite's adapter? Is the main power strip or socket the adapter is plugged into dodgy? Are the  Ethernet cables decent and how long are they? I'm assuming the satellite is not on the fringe. 

Then:

I'd be tempted to go back to basics. One satellite with the TV or PS only connected, no PI in the loop anywhere. See if that's stable. If it is, add the other satellite. If that's stable then add the PS. If that's stable, add the PI...

Message 10 of 11
simont1981
Tutor

Thanks to @CrimpOn @plemans @Jeffgear for taking time out to assist me with this.

Well, yesterday I factory reset everything - in the course of fiddling, I decided to limit the DHCP scope on the Orbi (not related to this posted fault) - but for some unknown reason after doing so, nothing would get an IP from DHCP afterwards... even though the settings were fine/enabled and I tried release/renew/flush/register.

I digress.

So - *touch wood* I have yet to see the LAN ports on any devices drop like before, though I have now probably jinxed myself typing that (!!), so time will tell I guess...

I will certainly post back here if the issue arises again, as it may at least serve to assist someone else with the fault - but [presently] I am hopeful that whatever was wrong, has been wiped away from a factory reset.

Many thanks chaps - with all due respect, I hope I won't be back here moaning about my Orbi again 😉

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7