Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 - How do I get ORBI to shut down internet to home from 11 pm to 5 am

Afund
Follower

RBR750 - How do I get ORBI to shut down internet to home from 11 pm to 5 am

I'm interested in learning how to have Orbi automatically shut down the internet from the hours of 11 pm to 5 am on weekdays.  I have the ORBI app on my phone and it doesn't seem to have any functionality through the phone app to accomplish this task.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thank you

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
vajim
Master

Re: RBR750 - How do I get ORBI to shut down internet to home from 11 pm to 5 am

If you're talking about the rbr750 you may want to post your questions here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 - How do I get ORBI to shut down internet to home from 11 pm to 5 am

@Afund wrote:

I'm interested in learning how to have Orbi automatically shut down the internet from the hours of 11 pm to 5 am on weekdays.  I have the ORBI app on my phone and it doesn't seem to have any functionality through the phone app to accomplish this task.

This is correct. The "app" has no capability to turn the internet off, and certainly not on a schedule.

Netgear has created a separate community forum specific to the "AX" products, which @vajim provided a link to.

Alas, I fear the goal may be tantalizingly out of reach.

Orbi has an Advanced Security setting called Block Services, described on page 43 of the Orbi RBR750 User Manual

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf  Any and all services can be blocked, including which devices on the LAN will be affected by the blocking.

Alas, this feature is common to all Orbi products, and appears to have a major flaw: The "schedule" feature appears to be within one 24 hour day.  Thus, 11:am to 1:00pm is an acceptable block.  11:00pm to 1:00am is not.

It is fairly easy to test the feature.  Check the choice "Per Schedule."  Select one specific IP address and edit the existing entry "Block Any", enter the desired IP address, and click "Accept".  Then, go to Schedule and fill in begin and end times.  (I would make it start "5 minutes from right now" and end "10 minutes after that."  Go to the device being blocked.  In 5 minutes, it should suddenly stop working.  Try anything. web browser. email. ping.  In about 10 minutes, the internet should be back.

So, what's the problem?  People have complained that the "Start time" MUST be before the "End Time" in one 24 hour day.

To test this, you'd have to stay up late.  Set the start time for 11:00pm and the end time to (anything).  At 11:00pm it should die, but then it will NOT TURN BACK ON.

Or... all this is a figment of my imagination and I read about that forum post in my dreams.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7