× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS20 Connected to RBR20 (AP Mode) stops transmitting client traffic

vordesigns
Aspirant

RBS20 Connected to RBR20 (AP Mode) stops transmitting client traffic

Shotgun house, Orbi RBR20 in the middle, 1 RBS20 about 25' away in both directions.

They have been working reasonably fine.

Now, 1 of the satellites shows 5G backhaul connection but, intermittently stops transmitting packets and the signal bounces up and down.  Disconnect/reconnect ends up connecting to the RBR which is really out of range and traffic doesn't flow and better.

There are not diagnostic tools I can see to tell me if this is a satellite issue or a router issue.

I'm running the latest firmware which I installed  a few days ago in case that was the problem.

Other notes, sometimes if I run Windows 10 Troubleshoot, it reports that the gateway couldn't be found so it resets the WiFi or wireless depending on the system and reports that the gateway was missing.  

I only have this issue with one of the satellites so I'm disinclined to blame the client systems.

Message 1 of 8

Re: RBS20 Connected to RBR20 (AP Mode) stops transmitting client traffic

@vordesigns wrote:

.... sometimes if I run Windows 10 Troubleshoot, it reports that the gateway couldn't be found so it resets the WiFi or wireless depending on the system and reports that the gateway was missing.  

Makes me ask you about the modem, if there is one, in front of your router.

@vordesigns wrote:

Shotgun house, Orbi RBR20 in the middle, 1 RBS20 about 25' away in both directions.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 3 of 8
vordesigns
Aspirant

Version:  2.7.3.2

Orbi:  AP Mode (won't set time, can't check for updates)

Gateway SonicWall TZ series

RBR = Static IP

RBS = DHCP reservation static IPs

IPV6 disabled

Attached device map only reliablle for satellites, hosts on LAN sometimes not online but listed, not found on the network.

Had most of settings listed in config reference, unchecked fast switching and logging.  Since it is an AP, uncheck other useless logging.

Will problably need to break out a wireless sniffer and see who is using what channel in the neighborhood..

Issue only happens with one of the satellites.  Could be that they are too close to each other.

Message 4 of 8

@vordesigns wrote:

Version:  2.7.3.2

Orbi:  AP Mode (won't set time, can't check for updates)

I should have spotted that in the subject.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you want to update the firmware, do it manually. Always a better bet.

The manual describes how to go about it. Or:

How to update firmware on your NETGEAR product | Answer | NETGEAR Support

And

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But I don't understand this:

@vordesigns wrote:

Gateway SonicWall TZ series

That label is a generic tag rather than a  model number. (See question from @FURRYe38.) So it could be one of a bunch of things. Google says this is some sort of firewall thing. Not a "gateway" as many of us understand it.

I am probably missing something. With luck @FURRYe38 knows more about this atypical setup.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try swapping RBS locations with each other to see of the problem follows or not...

Try OFF the one RBS thats seem problematic and see if the problem continues or not with just one RBS. 

Message 6 of 8
vordesigns
Aspirant

The problem seems to be the RBS, while it does connect to the RBR, it doesn't consistently ltransmit packets, removing the RBS allows a connection to the RBR, ping lag goes up but, it just tolerable.

When I rebooted the RBS and waited for it to come all the way up, it reports that it can't reach the RBR IP.

RBR reports device is connected with GOOD status.

I guess the hardware has just died and I'm SOL.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you re-load FW on to the RBS using the RBS web page using a wired PC then factory reset and sync to the RBR? 

@vordesigns wrote:

The problem seems to be the RBS, while it does connect to the RBR, it doesn't consistently ltransmit packets, removing the RBS allows a connection to the RBR, ping lag goes up but, it just tolerable.

When I rebooted the RBS and waited for it to come all the way up, it reports that it can't reach the RBR IP.

RBR reports device is connected with GOOD status.

I guess the hardware has just died and I'm SOL.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7