Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS40 not syncing on ethernet backhaul

snoopy1212
Aspirant

RBS40 not syncing on ethernet backhaul

Hello all,

I am running 1 x RBR40 w/ 2 x RBS40 in AP mode.

Both satelites connected using ethernet backhaul. One of the satelites works fine everytime and gets the blue ring on top. However, the other one connects but then after a short period of time(<1 min) kind of resets and disconnects LAN connection and flashes white ring on top. After a short time, connections are ok again but then the whole process repeats.

This goes on a cycle and keeps disconnecting LAN devices on the satelite. I've tried to reset the satelite and then resyncing with the router using 5Ghz and that shows a blue ring; once I move it back to the ethernet spot, it just refuses to work again.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS40 not syncing on ethernet backhaul

One test is to eliminate the ethernet cable as a problem.  i.e. bring the satellite to the same room as the router and connect them with an ethernet patch cord.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBS and first sync it wirelessly, once it's connected there, then plug in the ethernet cable. 

Be sure your using known good working CAT6 lan cabling. 

Try @CrimpOns suggestion as well. 

Disable Daisy Chain on the RBR. 

Let us know how it goes. 

@snoopy1212 wrote:

Hello all,

I am running 1 x RBR40 w/ 2 x RBS40 in AP mode.

Both satelites connected using ethernet backhaul. One of the satelites works fine everytime and gets the blue ring on top. However, the other one connects but then after a short period of time(<1 min) kind of resets and disconnects LAN connection and flashes white ring on top. After a short time, connections are ok again but then the whole process repeats.

This goes on a cycle and keeps disconnecting LAN devices on the satelite. I've tried to reset the satelite and then resyncing with the router using 5Ghz and that shows a blue ring; once I move it back to the ethernet spot, it just refuses to work again.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Message 3 of 6
snoopy1212
Aspirant

Yeah thanks for the comments everybody.

I found out that the solution was literally to leave it to do its job. I came back to it after 4-5 hours and it just miraculously started to function as normal. 

However, I feel it's not normal that a system like this be unstable for the first 3-4 hours after connection. Maybe someone could enlighten me on why this is the case?

Thanks for the help anyways!

Message 4 of 6
snoopy1212
Aspirant

Yeah hello all again.

Seems like it's gone and broken itself again.

Now, it's starting to affect the whole network as well. I'm getting random connection drops for all devices across the network and the previous un-cooperative satelite now shows as doing backhaul on 5G even though it is way too far away to do that.

I've tried the above suggestions but they don't seem to be helping.

Any more ideas? Thanks anyways

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and RBSs and setup from scratch.

Disable Daisy Chain on the RBR. 

I would set up each RBS near the RBR while in the same room first. Wirelessly first then once they are confirmed wirelessly connect at the RBR, connect 1 RBS directly to the RBR with a LAN cable. Don't use any switches. Give it a few minutes. The top ring LED should turn BLUE the go OFF. Do this for the 2nd RBS as well. Once you get them ethernet connected. Turn them OFF and place back in there remote locations. 

Be sure to rebooted or power cycle any and all networking devices. After you setup the RBR. Helps clear out any IP conflicts that maybe causing problems. 

Is there a ethernet switch being used or are the RBS directly connected to the RBR? If so, what is the Mfr and model#? 

@snoopy1212 wrote:

Yeah hello all again.

Seems like it's gone and broken itself again.

Now, it's starting to affect the whole network as well. I'm getting random connection drops for all devices across the network and the previous un-cooperative satelite now shows as doing backhaul on 5G even though it is way too far away to do that.

I've tried the above suggestions but they don't seem to be helping.

Any more ideas? Thanks anyways

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7