Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS40 wont connect to the RBR40

DaleHuff
Aspirant

RBS40 wont connect to the RBR40

I've had this for about 6 mnths and as far as I know it's been working fine. Then about a week ago the satellite stopped being connected to the router. I have WIFI, but no where can I find the satellite. Not on the app or when I look on the Netgear website.

All the satellite will do is continually flash the white light 10 times then it will very briefly flash a green light then briefly an orange light sometimes another orange one after that then it repeats the process.

I'm not at all literat with this kind of thing so any help that could be simplified for me to undestand would be of great help.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS40 wont connect to the RBR40

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

How is the RBS connected? Wired or wireless? 

Try a factory reset on the RBS and then try to re-add it. If it appears in the RBR web page, see if you can remove it first, then re-add. Do this while in same room as the RBR...

A factory reset maybe needed on the RBR as well...

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@DaleHuff wrote:

I've had this for about 6 mnths and as far as I know it's been working fine. Then about a week ago the satellite stopped being connected to the router. I have WIFI, but no where can I find the satellite. Not on the app or when I look on the Netgear website.

All the satellite will do is continually flash the white light 10 times then it will very briefly flash a green light then briefly an orange light sometimes another orange one after that then it repeats the process.

I'm not at all literat with this kind of thing so any help that could be simplified for me to undestand would be of great help.

Message 2 of 15
DaleHuff
Aspirant

FW....V2.3.1.44

Modem...Netgear, CM700

Connected with wire

Operating in Router.

WIFI neighbors...not really sure about this but it looks like 6. 5 are devices in my home ie, TV. One is a house next door, one one is marked to connect automatically that's the Orbi.

Tried a factory reset earlyer, pushing button seemed to do no good. What I mean is that there wasn't any type of response at all.

I hope this helpfull to you, thank you for trying.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you pushing the reset button on the RBS to where you feel a bump in the press? Hold the reset button in until the top led turns AMBER or starts to blink WHITE, then let go of the button. 

Message 4 of 15
Mistermccheese
Aspirant

i have the same model and same problem satalite isnt responding to anything and is not discoverable 

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the FW been updated on the RBR and RBS at all? 

Connect a wired PC to the back of the RBS and power it on. Wait up to 5 minutes, the PC should get an IP address. Open a web browser and try to access the RBS web page at 192.168.1.254. Can apply any FW updates at this point if needed. 

@Mistermccheese wrote:

i have the same model and same problem satalite isnt responding to anything and is not discoverable 

Message 6 of 15
Mistermccheese
Aspirant

router fw   V2.3.1.48

no idea about satalie because i cant find anywhere and connecting to that ip wont work says connection interupted

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your PC getting an IP address after 5 minutes of being connected to the back of the RBS? 

If so, look at the networking details on the PCs connection to see that gateway IP address, this is the addres you need to connect to the RBSs web page in a browser.

Message 8 of 15
Mistermccheese
Aspirant

the router is projecting a signal so i have wifi on my computer but the satalite is not discoverable at all it continues to flash white then all colors at once factory reset does nothing... ive read about this before people needing replacements & im still under hardware warranty how do i just get a non defective unit

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask about an RMA for the defective unit.

@Blanca_O 

Message 10 of 15
Mistermccheese
Aspirant

how do i get free support lol i looked into it and they want me to pay for help with their products

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with a forum Moderator to see what they can do for you.

@Blanca_O 

Message 12 of 15
Mistermccheese
Aspirant

never **bleep**ing buying a netgear product again haha jesus christ this company blows 

Message 13 of 15
DaleHuff
Aspirant

I tied everything that has been suggested to no avail. I did get in contact with support and they told me that not only was my support free but they are going to warranty the RBS40. As stated earlier I've had it for about six months. I'm not happy the thing crapped out on me but at least for me Netgear is stepping up. Thank everyone for trying to help me.
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad they are getting you another unit. Let us know how that one works our for you. 

@DaleHuff wrote:
I tied everything that has been suggested to no avail. I did get in contact with support and they told me that not only was my support free but they are going to warranty the RBS40. As stated earlier I've had it for about six months. I'm not happy the thing crapped out on me but at least for me Netgear is stepping up. Thank everyone for trying to help me.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7