Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS40V "Dead"?

CrimpOn
Guru

RBS40V "Dead"?

(I will of course post in the Orbi Voice forum, but my sense is that many of the Orbi forums are not very 'active'.)

This morning I discovered that devices connected to my Orbi RBS40V were not responding. I find the situation confusing and seek suggestions about how to diagnose the problem.  There has been no change in RBS40V firmware for months.

• The Orbi web interface Attached Devices shows the connection as "WiFi 5G" and "Good".
  • The Orbi "app" shows a green dot.
  • Both the web interface and app show devices connected to the RBS40V.
  • satelliteinfo wifi shows both transmit and receive rates as "866" (as high as possible).
  • The power LED is green. BUT....
  • The RBS40V web interface does not connect.
  • The RBS40V does not respond to ICMP (ping).
  • Telnet to the RBS40V times out, rather than connecting or being rejected.

It is really annoying that Attached Devices and the "app" report the RBS40V connection as "Good" when it obviously is NOT GOOD.  It is especially frustrating because the satellite is mounted "up high" in the garage to give it a clear line of sight to the RBR50 router.  (makes messing with it inconvenient.)

"Next steps" appear to be:

• Ordinary "reset".
  • Factory reset.

But then... what next?

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
alokeprasad
Mentor

@CrimpOn wrote:

Confession: Rebooted the Orbi router, and after the (frustrating) time it takes to resync everything, "all is well again."

Takes me back to the original IBM PC days.  When in doubt, turn off the big red switch and restart.

The issue appears to have been somehow related to the Orbi router.  One would think after all this time that this would have been one of the first steps. (restart everything)

Turns out my problem solving skills are pathetic.

Is the RBS40V continuing to work fine?

We should add "reboot the RBR and then the satellites"  as an easy initial step before doing factory resets and firmware rollbacks as a part of troubleshooting ....

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
alokeprasad
Mentor

Hopefully, one of those resets will fix the problem.

Maybe re-flash the last update in case the on-board memory is corrupted.

Connect the RBSV and RBR50 with Ethernet (to remove wireless connection between them as a variable).

Let us know what happens...

You have the most logical and thorough approach to problem-solving.  We hope to learn from your efforts.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Have now "reset" and "Factory Reset" the RBS40V, which caused it to be disconnected.  Deleted and "Added" successfully.

Am now back to square 1:

• Attached Devices and Orbi app both say RBS40V is "good".
  • Cannot connect to the RBS40V web interface. (which means that I cannot load firmware on it).
    Have tried multiple browsers.  All report "page took too long to load."  (i.e. no response)
  • Does not respond to ping. (entry in the Windows ARP table is correct).

I wondered, "could the RBS40V have somehow *switched* itself from Orbi satellite mode to WiFi extender mode?"  If that were the case, it should not have been able to "Add" to the Orbi network as a satellite and Attached Devices/Orbi app should not show it as an Orbi satellite.  Other WiFi extenders I have connected always show up as ordinary WiFi devices, never as satellites.

Also noticed that the Orbi Voice community forum does not appear to be very 'active.'

Beginning to dispair.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Confession: Rebooted the Orbi router, and after the (frustrating) time it takes to resync everything, "all is well again."

Takes me back to the original IBM PC days.  When in doubt, turn off the big red switch and restart.

The issue appears to have been somehow related to the Orbi router.  One would think after all this time that this would have been one of the first steps. (restart everything)

Message 4 of 9
esteg
Guide

Try removing TM (Traffic Management)

Regards

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 5 of 9
CoonHouse
Aspirant

Betreff: RBS40V "Dead"?

Hello,

Since two days I ​am having​ same problem with both of my RBS40V devices. Yesterday I resettet both devices and added them again to the router (RBR50) The problem seemed solved, but just now one of the RBS40V's again gives problems (connected but no internet)

In my router I see at "Firmware update" for both devices at first "Downloading firmware" and then "Update failed"

Screenshot 2021-03-31 120745.png

I also tried manually updating the firmware. The latest version I can find on the site is V2.6.2.4_1.0.1. (I don't know if this one is newer then my V2.6.2.4). But when I unzip this download it contains a ".chk" file (tried multiple times to download) and when I try to upload it to the router it says it is expecting a ".img" file.

Can anyone help me out. It is quite frustrating that my devices are losing internet connection (some devices depend on it). For such an expensive setup I expect better.

Thanks,

Wilco
Message 6 of 9
alokeprasad
Mentor

@CrimpOn wrote:

We should add "reboot the RBR and then the satellites"  as an easy initial step before doing factory resets and firmware rollbacks as a part of troubleshooting ....

Message 7 of 9
alokeprasad
Mentor

Betreff: RBS40V "Dead"?

@CoonHouse wrote:
Hello,

Since two days I ​am having​ same problem with both of my RBS40V devices. Yesterday I resettet both devices and added them again to the router (RBR50) The problem seemed solved, but just now one of the RBS40V's again gives problems (connected but no internet)

In my router I see at "Firmware update" for both devices at first "Downloading firmware" and then "Update failed"

Screenshot 2021-03-31 120745.png

I also tried manually updating the firmware. The latest version I can find on the site is V2.6.2.4_1.0.1. (I don't know if this one is newer then my V2.6.2.4). But when I unzip this download it contains a ".chk" file (tried multiple times to download) and when I try to upload it to the router it says it is expecting a ".img" file.

Can anyone help me out. It is quite frustrating that my devices are losing internet connection (some devices depend on it). For such an expensive setup I expect better.

Thanks,

Wilco

I get the same thing (a .chk file) when downloading the firmware from the support web site. I think it is glitch in the Netgear servers.

Consider starting a new thread with a title like "Cannot update RBS40V firmware".  Many people don't read an older thread.

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

It's only been 24 hours, but everything "seems" OK.  Of course, I reset the RBR40V so Alexa had to be set up again. Still have no idea what caused the problem in the first place.  I was so confident with the Orbi Voice that I dismantled the network monitor I had set up when the security cameras were networked over PowerLine and then with a Netgear R7000 and then with a Netgear EX3700.  Orbi Voice was FAR more stable than either of the previous solutions. (sigh)

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7