Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Wont connect to RBR50 after power outage

claudermilk
Aspirant

RBS50 Wont connect to RBR50 after power outage

I had a brief power outage and after getting power restored the RBS50 satellite won't connect to the RBR50 router. In the past this hasn't been a problem, power cycle things in order and it automagically connected and off I went, but not today.

The router is in access point mode and wired to a switch and to my fiber modem.

I turned off both the router and satellite, then powered the router back up & waited for it to be booted. Then powered up the satellite. No joy. I hit sync on the router, then on the satellite. still no joy. I got to tech support and got as far as telling me to place them side by side and hit both sync buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. That took down the router which needed a power cycle to get booted back up with internet access.

This entire time the satellite is stuck at a pulsing white LED.

Any ideas of the next thing to try? The hardware is 5 years old, so Netgear is no help, they want to sell me extended tech support; for that I may as well bin these and buy newer hardware which I really don't want to mess with.

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 Wont connect to RBR50 after power outage

The RBR50 User Manual describes the satellite ring LED states:

CrimpOn_0-1711831147840.png

Assuming that the satellite is not connected to the router with Ethernet, I also like to temporarily relocate the satellite to be close to the router in order to make it more convenient to observe what is going on.

It might be worth performing a Factory Reset on the satellite. (holding an object in that tiny 'Reset' hole until the power LED turns amber and begins to blink.  Then release.)  No need to touch any sync buttons.  If the ring LED continues to flash white for more than 2 minutes, there is definitely a problem.

Message 2 of 4
claudermilk
Aspirant

Re: RBS50 Wont connect to RBR50 after power outage {SOLVED]

I had moved it to sit right next to the router and it was stuck at the pulsing white LED for a long time. I left it alone (after giving up) for the day and visited family. Getting up in the morning I saw no light on either unit. I checked on the router's web interface and it actually showed the satellite as connected! I've moved it back to its normal location and am powering it up now. I expected another extended boot and link session, but while typing the above, it has connected back to the router as it usually does. It seems all is good now, though I have no idea why that power outage threw the satellite for such a loop this time.

I guess patience is the key.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 Wont connect to RBR50 after power outage

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.

What FW version is on the RBR and RBS? 

FW version same version on the RBS as whats on the RBR? 

What channel configurations are currently set on the router? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7