Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 bricked by 2.5.0.38

wce68
Follower

RBS50 bricked by 2.5.0.38

My Orbi Satellite, RBS50, appears to have been bricked by firmware 2.5.0.38.  Firmware was applied to router, but satellite remained behind on 2.5.0.36.  After a couple days, I restarted the satellite, and it never came back up.  I have tried factory resets on both satellite and router.  Satellite goes through startup sequence and then endlessly fades in and out the slow blue-white light on top.  Attempt at factory reset gives amber power light, then flashing amber.  After releasing reset button, power light turns off.  Top light continues to slowy fade in and out of the blue-white light.

I'm unable to reach the satellite with a web browser (connection is denied).  When hardwired to the router, it appears to get IP address 192.168.1.250, which I can ping.  The same happens when directly connected to my computer via ethernet with manual configuration.

I have tried TFTP to send an older firmware image, but my power light flashes don't match anything I've seen.  In addition to the above, if I hit the factory reset button just after starting, I get a red light, followed by flashing red, and then it goes back to green.  I've tried sending the image via TFTP at all stages, but I get either a numeric error code, or it looks like it starts to send, and then I get a timeout or a message indicating that the server isn't responding.

I'm using a Mac, and I've tried both the built-in tftp command and the tftp client available at download.cnet.com.  It's likely I'm making a mistake somewhere here, but since my light colors don't match anything I've found when searching, I'm not really sure where to go next.

Any help would be appreciated.  Additionally, a download location for 2.5.0.38 would be nice, as what's out in the support area looks much older.

Regards,

WCE

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 bricked by 2.5.0.38

Download links for 2.5.0.38 only became available recently.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061363/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-0-38 

Yes, the satellite gives itself IP 192.168.1.250 when it cannot get an IP from the router.

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

who did the update...you or netgear?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You can access the satellites web page via it's 192.168.1.250 address if you wire connect a PC to the back of the RBS. Directly send any FW files from the PC to the satellite. 

Factory reset the RBS by holding the reset button for 15 seconds only. 

@wce68 wrote:

My Orbi Satellite, RBS50, appears to have been bricked by firmware 2.5.0.38.  Firmware was applied to router, but satellite remained behind on 2.5.0.36.  After a couple days, I restarted the satellite, and it never came back up.  I have tried factory resets on both satellite and router.  Satellite goes through startup sequence and then endlessly fades in and out the slow blue-white light on top.  Attempt at factory reset gives amber power light, then flashing amber.  After releasing reset button, power light turns off.  Top light continues to slowy fade in and out of the blue-white light.

I'm unable to reach the satellite with a web browser (connection is denied).  When hardwired to the router, it appears to get IP address 192.168.1.250, which I can ping.  The same happens when directly connected to my computer via ethernet with manual configuration.

I have tried TFTP to send an older firmware image, but my power light flashes don't match anything I've seen.  In addition to the above, if I hit the factory reset button just after starting, I get a red light, followed by flashing red, and then it goes back to green.  I've tried sending the image via TFTP at all stages, but I get either a numeric error code, or it looks like it starts to send, and then I get a timeout or a message indicating that the server isn't responding.

I'm using a Mac, and I've tried both the built-in tftp command and the tftp client available at download.cnet.com.  It's likely I'm making a mistake somewhere here, but since my light colors don't match anything I've found when searching, I'm not really sure where to go next.

Any help would be appreciated.  Additionally, a download location for 2.5.0.38 would be nice, as what's out in the support area looks much older.

Regards,

WCE

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7