Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50Y-v2 Firmware will not update past V2.3.5.32

JBinIL
Star

RBS50Y-v2 Firmware will not update past V2.3.5.32

Hi. I just added a third RBS50Y Outdoor Satellite I purchased from an eBay seller to my existing Orbi network.
However, when I log in to my main Orbi router via a wired ethernet connection using Chrome or Edge and try to update the new-to-me OutSat3 RBS50Y (v2) satellite's firmware (automatically or manually) from version V2.3.5.32 to ANY other subsequent firmware version, NetGear's browser-based admin panel reports "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

I have double checked that I am attempting to install the correct firmware version for this RBS50Y outdoor satellite.

My main Orbi router is RBR50.

I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Model NameDevice NameCurrent Version
 RBR50Main RouterV2.7.4.24
 RBS50InSat 1V2.7.4.24
 RBS50InSat 2V2.7.4.24
 RBS50YOutSat 1 (Attached Garage)V2.7.4.12
 RBS50YOutSat 2 (Outer Garage)V2.7.4.12
 RBS50Yv2OutSat3V2.3.5.32
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JBinIL
Star

Thank you very much for your prompt and excellent suggestion! After I tried connecting, as you suggested, wirelessly DIRECTLY to my new-to-me third Orbi RBS50Y-v2 outdoor satellite via its IP address instead of through my main Orbi RBR40 router, I discovered I could not log into it (invalid password). When I went into my third Orbi RBS50Y-v2 outdoor satellite's Administrative screen to try to set the password the same as my main Orbi RBR40 router's password, I then discovered the updated RBS50Y-v2 satellite requires a minimum of a 10-character-long password whereas my main RBR50 router only requires an 8-character password. After I changed my new-to-me Orbi RBS50Y-v2 and main Orbi RBR40 satellite's passwords to the same, new, 10-character passwords, I was able to manually update my new-to-me Orbi RBS50Y-v2's firmware from v2.3.5.32 directly to the latest version (V2.7.4.12)! 🙂

Thanks again for your excellent suggestion!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried applying v2.4.2.106 manually using a PC and web browser connected to the RBS50Ys web page? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbs50yv2#download

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Message 2 of 4
JBinIL
Star

Thank you very much for your prompt and excellent suggestion! After I tried connecting, as you suggested, wirelessly DIRECTLY to my new-to-me third Orbi RBS50Y-v2 outdoor satellite via its IP address instead of through my main Orbi RBR40 router, I discovered I could not log into it (invalid password). When I went into my third Orbi RBS50Y-v2 outdoor satellite's Administrative screen to try to set the password the same as my main Orbi RBR40 router's password, I then discovered the updated RBS50Y-v2 satellite requires a minimum of a 10-character-long password whereas my main RBR50 router only requires an 8-character password. After I changed my new-to-me Orbi RBS50Y-v2 and main Orbi RBR40 satellite's passwords to the same, new, 10-character passwords, I was able to manually update my new-to-me Orbi RBS50Y-v2's firmware from v2.3.5.32 directly to the latest version (V2.7.4.12)! 🙂

Thanks again for your excellent suggestion!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7