Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBW30 - Firmware Update .chk vs .img

bfrase
Aspirant

RBW30 - Firmware Update .chk vs .img

orbilogin.net will not update from firmware version 2.5.0.2 for RBW30 satellite to 2.5.0.4. Auto update on internet states failed update. Tried manual, but zip file yields a .chk file. When you click on upload message comes back that I need a .img file. I am working with Windows 10 on a 64 bit platform. Tried changing the file extension to .img, but got a message back that it was now the wrong file.
Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBW30 - Firmware Update .chk vs .img

I have no idea why some engineer at Netgear decided to name the image files for that one product with "chk", but they did.

If the automatic update is not working, I would try to connect directly to the satellite web site (same "admin" and password as the router) and click on the "Firmware Update" item on the satellite web site menu.

Message 2 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@bfrase wrote:
orbilogin.net will not update from firmware version 2.5.0.2 for RBW30 satellite to 2.5.0.4. Auto update on internet states failed update. Tried manual, but zip file yields a .chk file. When you click on upload message comes back that I need a .img file. I am working with Windows 10 on a 64 bit platform. Tried changing the file extension to .img, but got a message back that it was now the wrong file.

I know this may be a dumb question, but did you unzip the zip file?

Message 3 of 12
bfrase
Aspirant

Was able to resolve problem by unplugging the satellite that was failing on the update.  The online update worked for the remaining satellite.  Plugged the 2nd satellite back in but much closer to the router (10 feet).  The update was successful as well.  Moved the 2nd satellite back to original location.  All is well.  I still don't understand the .chk file provided in the download rather than an .img file.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you rename the .chk file to a .img file? Just rename the extension of the file. 

@bfrase wrote:

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you rename the .chk file to a .img file? Just rename the extension of the file. 

This is part of the bizzare nature of the Orbi product line.  The RBW30 product actually has firmware with "chk" extension.  And, as he indicated, it did update when he moved the satellites around.  (Personally) I think some engineer over in a corner developed the RBW30 product (or Netgear purchased it from somebody) and that's just "the way it is."

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know. odd they used a different file extension. Though sometimes renaming can work. 

Message 7 of 12
MrCDuncan
Aspirant

SOLUTION- The answer was a combination of things in this thread.  First, rename the CHK file to IMG.  Then connect directly to the satellite's IP address, login with the same admin account as you use for the hub, then manually update from the satellite's firmware update page by pointing to the img file. 

Message 8 of 12
mattordrums
Aspirant

Any MacBook 10.14.6 users here? The CHK file looks like a windows EXE. Perhaps this firmware isn't needed for Apple  as they are dramatically less vunerable than windows os. Orbi satellites currently on 2.5.0.4.

Changing to ,img didn't work.

Thank you

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you opening the RBWs web page and sending the .chk file to the RBW using the web  page? Do not attemp to open the .chk or .img file with in OSX. It's nothing that users can open. It's only processed by the RBWs FW update web page. 

Message 10 of 12
mattordrums
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I've been trying to update firmware first using the iPhone app which is fast, but faulty (says it's up to date when it's not), then switching to desktop using the slow and clunky browser admin pages: Safari (wouldn't open the admin page), then Chrome (stuck wouldn't open "browse files", then Firefox (successul router RB40 update although it said it was unable to open), then back to Chrome. After multiple tries, all three units are updated. Boy, I'm glad it was this easy..... Glad they made the App so useful for updating, lol.

Anyone know why it says it's up to date on the iPhone app when it's not? I'm on the most recent iOS and Orbi app.

Thanks!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you finally got things updated.

I would post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

I would not recommend using the Orbi app for any FW updates. I recommend the web browser and conecting to the RBR and RBWs. 

Be sure to make a backup configruation to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7