Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBW30 Keeps Turning Pink and Dropping Connection

silverware444
Aspirant

RBW30 Keeps Turning Pink and Dropping Connection

My main router is an Orbi and we have a couple of satellites connected to it, one of which is a plug-in RBW30 in my room, a few rooms away from the router itself. However, I've been having a few problems with my satellite. To start, my computer is right next to it, but it's registering one bar only on the app and my download speed is super slow still. Second, sometimes it turns pink while I'm in the middle of a game or something and just drops the connection. Sometimes it turns blue and the connection is back after a few seconds, but sometimes it takes upwards of 3-4 minutes to reconnect. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? It used to not do this often, but as of recent it's been dropping every   15 minutes or so and it's getting annoying. We tried moving it to a closer room but it still keeps dropping. 

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBW30 Keeps Turning Pink and Dropping Connection

@silverware444 wrote:

my computer is right next to it, but it's registering one bar only on the app and my download speed is super slow still.

In addition to the WiFi icon, the app should also report

• Which WiFi band the computer has connected to
  • The "Link Rate" indicating speed of connection, and
  • Which Orbi unit the computer has connected to.
    (Even though it is physically close to the RBW30, I would want to see how the Orbi system reports the connection.  My Nest Thermostat, for example is [literally] three ft. from one satellite, but is actually connected to a satellite about 12 feet in the opposite direction.)

The RBW30 is super convenient, since it can be simply "plugged in" and takes up no space on a shelf or piece of furniture.  That also means that it is almost always down near the floor, surrounded by furniture and may not have a clear WiFi path to the router. It would be useful to know how the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net ) describes the router to RBW30 link.  Is it 5G and "Good"?

Message 2 of 3
silverware444
Aspirant

Re: RBW30 Keeps Turning Pink and Dropping Connection

Alright so I looked in the app and it for some reason says its connected to another satellite we have. Do you know how I can change this? I also think the problem is partially my computer using a USB wifi adapter, which isn't the best. However, the main problem I have with the Orbi is still the fact that it disconnects every now and again. It is on the floor and is pretty far from the router, so I guess the amount of tables and walls it has to go through might be high. But, as I said before we tried moving the Orbi to a closer room where it's obstructed by less things, and it still disconnects frequently. That's the closest we can get to the router unfortunately, so I'm not sure what to do. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7