Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBW30 won't connect with the RBK40 over 30m

AB17
Aspirant

RBW30 won't connect with the RBK40 over 30m

Hi,

I hope someone can help.

I have just bought the Orbi AC2200 RBW40 with a RBK30 extender. I have the main unit RBW40 connected to my Virgin Media Hub, 100MB broadband in my house and I am trying to extend my wifi signal to my garden office 25-30m away. 

I live in a normal greater London semi detached 1930s brick house and the garden office is standard 2"x4" wooden construction, with standard wall insulation. I have tried the factory reset and I have updated the firmware to the latest version (app + web login etc) but so far, I keep getting the Magenta glow!

I can get the Amber glow in the garden 20-25m from the RBW40 unit when plugged into an extension cable. Not that far from the main router given the claims and not a very strong signal. When I get inside the wooden cabin it stops working all together?

If anyone has any thoughts on why this might be happening or any solutions, I would be very happy to hear them =]

Considering this setup is supposed to reach upto 200m, whilst costing £200 (!), so far I am unimpressed.

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

Message 1 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Re: RBW30 won't connect with the RBK40 over 30m

You are too far away from the router. Where did you get the idea the satellite was supposed to work 200m away? It won't. Especially through multiple walls and brick.

For your application you need a wireless point-to-point bridge, or you need to run a wire to your outbuilding.
Message 2 of 6
AB17
Aspirant

Hi

thanks for your feedback.

I'll look into those suggestions about the bridge. Had wanted to avoid cabling

FYI - It says on the front of the Orbi box, covers upto 200m squared, which from what you are stating, sounds like it is misleading. If that statement is not about the wifi signal range, I don't know what it might be refering to?

Message 3 of 6
AB17
Aspirant

@AB17 wrote:

Hi

thanks for your feedback.

I'll look into those suggestions about the bridge. Had wanted to avoid cabling

FYI - It says on the front of the Orbi box, covers upto 200m squared, which from what you are stating, sounds like it is misleading. If that statement is not about the wifi signal range, I don't know what it might be refering to?

The Orbi range boasting greater coverage.

_20170516155011_WifiOrbi.png

Message 4 of 6
timch
Luminary

200m2 is a measurement of floor area and is equivalent to an area of approx 17m by 17m. A standard 4 bed Victorian terraced house in London has an overall floor area of roughly 180m2 but of course can vary widely. 

Hope that helps

Message 5 of 6
AB17
Aspirant

Hi Tim,

that really helps clear up the misunderstanding around 200m squared (not just myself).

It would have been really useful and helpful, if Netgear had put some real world house size comparisons in relationship to the product reach.

The house illustration used below, shows a very similar distance from the balcony/ decking area (left) to the room above the garage (right), to the distance between my router and the extender reciever set up I have (my house is smaller!), whilst going through several walls.

orbi distance.png

As a product I cannot use, I will have to send it back and find another maybe cheaper solution, like TP Link using the mains cabling to pass the signal from point to point.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7