Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rbk50 system duplicate ips

blamman
Apprentice

Rbk50 system duplicate ips

I have a rbk50 with 2 ethernet backhauled satellites. About once a month a device cannot connect to the internet such as a firestick or phone. After doing an ip scan of the network and comparing to the assigned device list in orbi two devices are fighting for the same ip address. The only way to correct is the power off the router and satellites for a few minutes then power them all back on. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Rbk50 system duplicate ips

Is one of the devices listed in the LAN Setup table and the other not?

Message 2 of 10
blamman
Apprentice

Seem to be both wifi. I have ip reservations also but that range is not in the dhcp scope. 

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the typical practice is to  set aside a range of IP addresses to use for certain devices (i.e. "reserve" or "assign" to these devices based on MAC address) and set the DHCP range of IP addresses so that there is no overlap.

These two devices, then, are not in the LAN Setup table for assigned IP address, but are both somehow trying to use an IP address from the DHCP range, correct?

Message 4 of 10
blamman
Apprentice

They are not any of the reserved ip's . The are out of the dhcp allocation and can be different devices.

I do run the parental controls also.

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

What tool is being used to scan the LAN? (just curious)

Does the Orbi Attached Devices page include both devices with the same IP address?

This sort of thing has been reported when there is a rogue DHCP server on the network. (some device that includes a DHCP capability that the user had not realized was there and had not intended to activate).

The problem does not resolve itself if those two devices are powered off and then restarted one at a time?

Message 6 of 10
blamman
Apprentice

First of all Thank you for the help. I use advanced ip scanner from a windows hard wired desktop. Yes it does resolved when I power off the devices but sometimes it is hard to tell exactly which ones are having the issues. One of them will just not have internet access.

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@blamman wrote:

One of them will just not have internet access.

That is entirely understandable. Routers, switches, and even computers have ARP tables that contain the hardware MAC address which corresponds to specific IP addresses on the IP subnet. (IPs on different subnets always go to the 'gateway' to be delivered.)

The next time this happens, it would be interesting to compare whow the IP scanner report compares with the Attached Devices page.

Message 8 of 10
blamman
Apprentice

Thank you. I will scan again when it happens.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Are the RBS Ethernet connected at the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS? If there is, brand and model please. 

@blamman wrote:

I have a rbk50 with 2 ethernet backhauled satellites. About once a month a device cannot connect to the internet such as a firestick or phone. After doing an ip scan of the network and comparing to the assigned device list in orbi two devices are fighting for the same ip address. The only way to correct is the power off the router and satellites for a few minutes then power them all back on. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7