Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Real issues with Superb 3 and Satellite

andyp2021
Aspirant

Real issues with Superb 3 and Satellite

The only way I can get my new Orbi to work is with the Wifi switched on on the SuperHub 3. If I turn it off the Orbi which is wired direct does not work.

Also my satellite is in another room which is about 15 feet away and they can not see each other - paper-thin walls.

they only see each other if they are in the line of sight or in the same room...Im so disappointed with this product. Just paid £300 for a slower internet and only available in one or two rooms....

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Real issues with Superb 3 and Satellite

If your ISP Modem has built in router and wifii, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 2 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

@andyp2021 wrote:

The only way I can get my new Orbi to work is with the Wifi switched on on the SuperHub 3. If I turn it off the Orbi which is wired direct does not work.

Also my satellite is in another room which is about 15 feet away and they can not see each other - paper-thin walls.

they only see each other if they are in the line of sight or in the same room...Im so disappointed with this product. Just paid £300 for a slower internet and only available in one or two rooms....

First off it sounds like maybe your Orbi is not setup properly. The satellite should have no problem connecting wirelessly to the Orbi router at that distance and specs you described. 

Secondly, connecting to a SuperHub is pretty straight forward. If you keep the hub in router mode, you would configure the Orbi in AP mode. You can disable WIFI on the hub or keep it, as long as it does not conflict with the Orbi WIFI.

The nice thing about the SuperHub is you can convert it to modem only. This would be the optimum setting to connect your Orbi router to it. Then you can setup the Orbi router in router mode and configure the WIFI.

Message 3 of 13
andyp2021
Aspirant

Hi..

if I turn the Superhub to modem only the Orbi then does not work. 

The only way I can get the Orbi to see the satellite is if its in the same room or in line of sight...

I tried it in the next room which only has hardboard walls and it does not see it.....

I wanted the Satellite to give me internet access in my corner room which is about 12 feet away...I can get a signal if I put it in the doorway but if I put it where I want it another 4 foot in the room then they don't see each other...Im gutted at how poor this it...reading that they have a coverage of thousands of sq feet is obviously a sales pitch that unfortunately is not true.... gutted to say the least.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If you put the modem into modem only mode. Orbi will work and should work. After configuring the modem for modem only mode, you may need to power OFF the modem and the RBR for 1 minute, then power on the modem then RBR. Be sure you connect the yellow WAN port of the RBR to one of the LAN ports or port #1 of the modem. Walk thru the setup wizard of the RBR with a web browesr and a wired PC connected to the RBR. 

This should get you going with the RBR and modem. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 5 of 13
andyp2021
Aspirant

OK, thanks for the reply...I will take it out of the box and try it again...I was getting it ready to be returned at it isn't covering most of my house (and its not big)....will let you know (if I can get access to the internet after turning the modem to modem only 🙂

Message 6 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

@andyp2021 wrote:

OK, thanks for the reply...I will take it out of the box and try it again...I was getting it ready to be returned at it isn't covering most of my house (and its not big)....will let you know (if I can get access to the internet after turning the modem to modem only 🙂

If you try it again and it doesn't work.it is possible you have a defective Orbi system, but I doubt it. I have the same RBK53 system and it covers 4500 sq ft comfortably.

As I stated, what you are trying to do is a very easy task. So it may be a good idea to hire someone or get a friend that knows networking and mesh systems to help you install it.

Message 7 of 13
andyp2021
Aspirant

having to use my phone to tether a signal as the Orbi is not working...when I switch the SuperHub to modem only the Orbi stops working...it shows a full signal on my mobile and my computer - but if I click on google I get 'no internet signal'

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

After you configure the modem for modem mode, you should power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back on then reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. I would even ask fo additional help from your ISP about your modem to be sure it's configured correctly for modem only mode. 

Message 9 of 13
andyp2021
Aspirant

Hi

I have the Orbi working along with the Satellite but it only works when the Superhub 3 I on wifi mode, as soon as I switch it ti Modem only the Obie doesn't work. it shows a full signal but I have no internet connection.. and that is after rebooting after the change...the only way it works is with the Superhub wifi switched on???

Message 10 of 13
andyp2021
Aspirant

I may have figured it out, - Ill give it a go tomorrow... a friend told me that if I put the Superhub into Modem only mode only one connection will work and I already have the Tivo box connected...... so Im guessing if I pull that out and connect it to the Orbi, and only the Orbi connected to the Superhub that should do it. what do you think?

Message 11 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

@andyp2021 wrote:

I may have figured it out, - Ill give it a go tomorrow... a friend told me that if I put the Superhub into Modem only mode only one connection will work and I already have the Tivo box connected...... so Im guessing if I pull that out and connect it to the Orbi, and only the Orbi connected to the Superhub that should do it. what do you think?

Yep that's your problem. I missed telling you that. I assumed you only had the Orbi connected. Once you switch to Modem only it distributes only one IP address from the ISP.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. Yes, you only get one IP address when the modem is in modem only mode. 

@andyp2021 wrote:

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7