Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Region change from North America to Europe

ShadowHead
Tutor

Region change from North America to Europe

I bought a tri-Kit from Costco in the USA back in May. I now live in Europe. I tried changing the wifi region on the router but it is stuck on North America. I telneted into the router but it would not accept the BURNSKU code as described in some other posts. I have

RBR50 with firmware V1.12.0.18

RBS50 with firmware V2.0.0.74 

When all units had V2.0.0.74 the region was still North America. I changed the router back down to V1.12.0.18 but could not change the region.   Is it possible to change the region at all via CLI ? If so, how ??

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

It would be a NA sku orbi so no you couldn't change the region on that unit.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
ShadowHead
Tutor

So I got 3 paperweights for $600 ? I would imagine in this day and age people move. Really this is not software configurable at this price point ?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ShadowHead wrote:

So I got 3 paperweights for $600 ? I would imagine in this day and age people move. Really this is not software configurable at this price point ?

Correct.

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ShadowHead wrote:

I'd imagine they run fine in Europe even with North America set as region? If not I'll be in the same boat as you in due time.

Message 5 of 7
ShadowHead
Tutor

They seem to run fine the first few months. Dont know if since the update to 2.0.0.74 but now extremely unstable and poor range. Factory reset, stepped back to V1.12.0.18 and more but nothing seems to work. Also interesting, adding satellites does not help instea dmakes it worse. So, not saying the AN vs EU setting is key to the whole thing, not at all. I was just hoping to start with a "Quick Win" by changing that setting and ensuring I am in the right frequencies. I figured since the Orbi UI developers placed the setting in a "pull down" box, it would be a selectable feature, otherwise why a pull down box, just make it a text banner in the UI and be done.

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your woes. That region selection doesn't do a thing on my end either. I guess it is mostly used on European versions and you get to choose the correct country. When I moved from Europe to the US I remember my Apple airport router wouldn't let me pick anything outside of Europe either so it looks like common practice to have the router stick to one continent, settings wise. One reason to pick the Orbi was that it has 100-240V so you can use it worldwide; I never figured they'd restrict the settings too. Still I can hardly imagine the region setting to affect performance in the way it does for you. My Apple airport worked as well in NYC as it did in Europe - well enough to get an Orbi set instead 😉

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7