Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Repeated Orbi Wifi drops

iOSBoss
Aspirant

Repeated Orbi Wifi drops

Using the RBR20 router with one RBS20 satellite Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.36 <3,000 ft single story home Satellite to base station about 30 ft (some normal frame walls between) Distance to satellite - ❤️ ft Very stable internet connection via Arris SB6183 cable modem Distance to nearest neighbor is at least 200 ft. My Wifi signal strength is 4/4 bars on both main and guest network. I can max two other Wifi networks with 2 bars or less of signal. As has been reported by others, the Wifi simply hangs multiple times an hour. It's a brief pause - usually around 30 seconds +/- before everything resumes. I have extensively played around with config changes including: - Manually setting 2.4 and 5GHz channel (current setting is 04 and 36 respectively) - Enabled/disabled WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (currently disabled) - Enabled/disabled Daisy-Chain Topology (currently disabled) - Enabled/disabled Implicit BEAMFORMING (currently enabled) - Enabled/disabled MU-MIMO (currently disabled) - Enabled/disabled Fast Roaming (currently disabled) There are too many permutations of these to try them all, but the problem persists. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Repeated Orbi Wifi drops

Thanks for the thorough explanation, and for trying "the usual stuff" first.

Could you please explain how the "drop" for about 30 seconds is observed?

And, if you could humor an old geek, could you open the Orbi web interface and look at the Advanced Tab Home Page, click on the link "Connection Status" and report what it says about the internet lease?  (How long it is and how much time is remaining.)

Thanks

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

@iOSBoss wrote:
Using the RBR20 router with one RBS20 satellite Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.36 <3,000 ft single story home Satellite to base station about 30 ft (some normal frame walls between) Distance to satellite - ❤️ ft Very stable internet connection via Arris SB6183 cable modem Distance to nearest neighbor is at least 200 ft. My Wifi signal strength is 4/4 bars on both main and guest network. I can max two other Wifi networks with 2 bars or less of signal. As has been reported by others, the Wifi simply hangs multiple times an hour. It's a brief pause - usually around 30 seconds +/- before everything resumes. I have extensively played around with config changes including: - Manually setting 2.4 and 5GHz channel (current setting is 04 and 36 respectively) - Enabled/disabled WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (currently disabled) - Enabled/disabled Daisy-Chain Topology (currently disabled) - Enabled/disabled Implicit BEAMFORMING (currently enabled) - Enabled/disabled MU-MIMO (currently disabled) - Enabled/disabled Fast Roaming (currently disabled) There are too many permutations of these to try them all, but the problem persists. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 11
iOSBoss
Aspirant

@CrimpOn The behavior is simply observed as a "pause" in any web access. Web access is suspened / unresponsive for all synchronous Wifi connected devices (simultaneously).

Our home security system, which is hard wired to the base station (which in turn is also hard wired to the cable modem) is not reporting any internet disconnects, however all Wifi connected devices lose access, hence it stands to reason that the disruption is in the Wifi network. 

Lease Obtained1 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes
Lease Expires0 Days, 23 Hours, 1 Minutes
Message 4 of 11
iOSBoss
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 I have not tried a factory reset and setup - I would hope that could be avoided. It's a potentially painful procedure to ensure some 50+ internet connected devices and the daisy chain ecosystem (e.g. security system, and sensors) all reconnect properly. I guess I can try it but view it as a last resort.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@iOSBoss wrote:

@CrimpOn The behavior is simply observed as a "pause" in any web access. Web access is suspened / unresponsive for all synchronous Wifi connected devices (simultaneously).

Thanks for the explanation and the DHCP lease information.  That clearly eliminates one possibility.

And, all WiFi devices hang, not just the devices connected to the satellite?

What resources do you have to investigate with?  (Looking for a computer that can be wired directly to the Orbi router with an ethernet cable.  PC, Mac, Laptop)

Message 6 of 11
iOSBoss
Aspirant

Yes, all Wifi devices. For example I have an Alexa in the room with and connected to the Orbi base which often streams music which will stop streaming at the same time my laptop browser(s) become unresponsive in my office which is where the satellite is located.

I cannot easily verify if my iOT devices (thermostats, irrigation controllers, cameras, etc.) lose connectivity since they don't time out that fast, but I assume so. As mentioned, my alarm system, which is hardwired, seems to stay connected (I'm working to verify this).

I have pretty much every device know to man that runs on Windows, MacOS, Fire OS, and iOS. Desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones.

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@iOSBoss wrote:

I have pretty much every device know to man that runs on Windows, MacOS, Fire OS, and iOS. Desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones.

It might be useful to confim that the issue is on the "Orbi side" and not the "ISP side."  For example, on a Windows computer wired to the Orbi router, open a "Dos Window" (CMD: prompt) and begin to ping someplace.  I suggest Google DNS (8.8.8.8).  This will send one ICMP request (ping) per second.  (The command is:  ping 8.8.8.8)  When you hear the music stop, look at the computer.  Is it still "pinging away"?  If so, the internet connection appears to be good, and the problem is on the "Orbi side."

Another tool is to check the CPU activity on the Orbi.  On the Orbi debug page (http://orbilogin.net/debug.hem), check the box "Enable Telnet".  Then, open a telnet program on a computer that is wired to the Orbi (could be the same one doing ping).  Log in using the admin credentials, "admin" and password, and run the "System Activity Report", as follows:

sar 2 2000  (This means every 2 seconds for 2,000 times)

When the music stops, look at the telnet screen.  Has the CPU spiked?

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my.  Did we remember to ask the usual question, "Do you have Disney Circle or Bitdefender Armor activated?"

Message 9 of 11
iOSBoss
Aspirant

@CrimpOn Negative Ghostrider - no parental controls or incremental security here. I've set up a PC for monitoring the connection at the base. Thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

"2-3 times an hour".  The music should have stopped by now?

Or, is this like Schrödinger's Cat?  The act of observing the internet state keeps it alive?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7