Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacing Home Apple Extreme Router Network with RBK50 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi

BadgerDog
Aspirant

Replacing Home Apple Extreme Router Network with RBK50 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi

I currently have a hardwired Cat 6 LAN and an  Apple Network Extreme router located in our below ground level basement and connected to my Bell Canada DSL Internet Modem. The Apple router connects into the DSL Modem via PPPoE and in-turn connects to a Linksys 32 port LAN switch to deliver internet service throughout our 4,000 square foot home. 

At various points throughout our home LAN, I also have 4 additional Apple Network Extreme routers of various ages, connected to the same LAN and set to BRIDGE mode to act essentially as Ethernet Wi-Fi repeaters.

The main base Apple Network Extreme router connected to DSL is also set up to deliver Wi-Fi service.

As you know, Apple has discontinued its entire router product line, so I bought the initial Orbi 2 pack RBK50 AC3000 system to replace my current Apple environment.

The Apple Network Extreme seems to deliver my Internet service via the hard-wired LAN switch-based connections in each room of our home, but the Wi-Fi service it provides is slow and often drops out.

So, my question is ...

How do I connect my new Orbi 2 pack RBK50 AC3000 system into what I have to provide ONLY Wi-Fi internet service throughout our home, yet leave the existing Apple Extreme Router with its 5 hardwired LAN Apple units in BRIDGED mode to handle all of the Cat 6 LAN services?

Is this possible, or is there a better way?

ie:  should I throw out the entire Apple Router system and plug the Orbi Router directly into the BELL DSL modem (does it support PPPoE?) for Wi-Fi and then plug the Linksys32 port switch into one of the Orbi's LAN ports.  I'd then locate the backhaul Orbi Satelite somewhere else in the house via Ethernet connection, to handle our extended Wi-Fi needs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Regards,

Doug

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep the current network running and disable the wifi on Apples router. Then configure the Orbi for AP mode. Connect it to the network as being your upgraded WiFi system. Keeping the apple router network as your main router for the system would be easiest solution. 

You can use the same SSID and PW on the Orbi system as what your currently using. 

Message 2 of 11
BadgerDog
Aspirant

Followed your suggestion and set up the main Orbi as an AP plugged into Apple Extreme Router via a LAN port on both ends.  I turned OFF all other wi-fi on the Apple Router and also the Bell Canada DSL 5 megabit modem.

Setup satellite Orbi on a different floor and it connected fine to main Orbi via 5Gz special backhaul link.

On the Orbi app, the network map shows main and satellite on-line and a green dot.  There no top ring lights showing on the Orbi satellite unit itself,  but there's a constant mauve (or purple?) light illuminating the top ring on the main Orbi downstairs?  Perhaps the result of an AP setup as opposed to being plughged into the DSL modem?

The Orbi wi-fi network is operating fine and I'm able to use it from other devices and check its status both on the Orbi iPhone app and also from a Safari browser.

I decided to make the backhaul an Ethernet hard-wired LAN connection, so I plugged a LAN cable which leads back to the centralLInksys switch, into a spare connection on the back of the satellite Orbi.

I rebooted everything and now the satellite Orbi still has no light on the top ring, but on the iPhone Orbi network map it has a constant mauve (or purple?) dot instead of a green one, as it used to have when connected via the Orbi via 5Gz special backhaul link?  It also shows as off-line on in the app when clicking on it.  There's still a  constant mauve (or purple?) light illuminating the top ring on the main Orbi downstairs and that status never changed.

I disconnected the satellite Orbi from the LAN cable and went back to the Orbi via 5Gz special backhaul link and everything started working fine again.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I followed the Netgear instructions for an Ethernet-based backhaul connected to a LAN switch.  Any ideas on how to get the AP working with this Ethernet configuration.

Thanks for your previous help.

Message 3 of 11
BadgerDog
Aspirant

Anyone else able to help?

Thanks.....

Message 4 of 11
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Given wireless backhaul is working, there could be a conflict between WAN/LAN ports on Apple/Orbi.  You need to connect Orbi's yellow WAN port to Apple router LAN port, then connect a 2nd LAN cable from Orbi's LAN port to antoher LAN switch, which the Satellites are connected to.  If this result in a loop between LAN/WAN, Orbi will not be happy.

If it were me, I would simplify the network topology, rip out all the Apple routers and replace them with Orbi/Satellite.  This will break the WAN/LAN loop.  Hope this make senses!

Message 5 of 11
BadgerDog
Aspirant

Thanks ... Smiley Happy

I think I understand.

I  thought the yellow WAN port on the Orbi was to connect to my DSL modem, not to the Apple Router which is currently connected via PPPoE to that DSL modem?

Message 6 of 11
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@BadgerDog wrote:

Thanks ... Smiley Happy

I think I understand.

I  thought the yellow WAN port on the Orbi was to connect to my DSL modem, not to the Apple Router which is currently connected via PPPoE to that DSL modem?

When Orbi is setup as Router Mode, its WAN must be connected to DSL modem.  If Orbi is in AP mode, Apple WAN port will be connected to DSL modem instead of Orbi.  Orbi WAN port must be connect to Apple router LAN port. Only one of them should be connected to DSL modem, not both.

Message 7 of 11
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

A simple thing to try:

Replace the main Apple router, which talks to DSL modem with Orbi router.   Connect Orbi yellow WAN to DSL modem and Orbi LAN port to all other Apple routers (in Bridge Mode) via Apple WAM port.  Verify all of Apple routers are using WAN port (the bottom one) on the Orbi LAN site/network.  Once that's up and running, connect Orbi Satellite's LAN port to LAN network.

Message 8 of 11
BadgerDog
Aspirant

For clarity as I'm getting confused.

Main Orbi is set to AP mode.

I followed Netgear's instructions for this using this mode.

Apple Router is currently connected via PPPoE to that DSL modem.  The Apple Router is connected to a LinkSys 32 port LAN switch which services home via hard-wired LAN

Main Orbi is connected from one of its own LAN ports to a LAN port on the Apple Router.

As I said Backhaul works fine wirelessly to satellite ORBI.

Can't get hardwired backhaul to work as the instructions say it should because both Orbi's are sharing the same switch as per Netgear instructions.  I even tried plugging the Main Orbi directly into the Linksys 32 port switch shared by the Satellite Orbi but still doesn't work.

Thanks for the help.

Message 9 of 11
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@BadgerDog wrote:

For clarity as I'm getting confused.

Main Orbi is set to AP mode.

Main Orbi is connected from one of its own LAN ports to a LAN port on the Apple Router.

As I said Backhaul works fine wirelessly to satellite ORBI.

Can't get hardwired backhaul to work as the instructions say it should because both Orbi's are sharing the same switch.  As per Netgear instructions, I even tried plugging the Main Orbi directly into the Linksys 32 port switch shared by the Satelliore Orbi but still doesn't work.

I would assume the instruction refers to how to hook up LAN backhaul, which assumes Orbi WAN port is already connected to ISP modem.  Basically, connecting Orbi LAN to existing LAN network might work, but it will end up with other problems.  The Orbi WAN port can't be left open or unconnected to ISP modem when in Router Mode or to another router's LAN when in AP mode.

You can verify this by swapping out all Apple routers with Orbi and Satellites in place.

Sorry if this's confusing.

Message 10 of 11
BadgerDog
Aspirant

Hmmm... thanks .... Smiley Happy

I really don't want to get rid of the main Apple Router connected to the ISP DSL modem.

I just want the Orbi's to provide only my wireless needs throughout the house.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the Netgear FAQ, but it indicates that's possible.

I'll experiment with your suggestion and see if I can get a LAN based backhaul to work your way and come back here.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7