Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ring Door Bell

Endorphine71
Apprentice

Thought I would give everyone an update....

I worked with Ring support on attempting to get the doorbell connected to the Orbi.  Nothing we tried would work.  I would go all the way through setup, but get white flashing LEDs just on the left, that state it was connected to the network, but could not reach the Internet. 

The Ring is hardwired with a good voltage and a full battery.  I even plugged in my old Netgear router with them and tried again to get it to connect, but every time it would do the same thing.  Ring support was very nice and responsive.  They sent it to their second level support and just decided to send me a replacement.

Last week I decided to return the Orbi since I have had numerous other issues with my Ring cams staying connected, and the router and satellite disconnecting or freezing up a few times a week.  I also disabled beamforming, mentioned in the other thread, and that helped the Nest Cams work like they should.  I still was not confident in the reliability of the Orbi.  Too often I would have the Nest cams or my Xbox connecting back to the main router and not utilizing the satellite sitting right next to it.  I am not sure how the router steering is setup, as there is no way to tell what the Orbi is doing, or tell a specific device to only connect to the router or satellite.  Wish those features were put in at the beginning.  I understand they could be added later, but I didn't want to wait for it to be fixed.  400$ is a lot of money.

I decided to give the Amplifi HD a try, as I need the one mesh point for the far end of my house.  Probably overkill, but why not.  So far I have not have had any issues like I did at first with the Orbi.  I decided to give my Ring doorbell another try, even though I had a replacement sitting there.  My original Ring connected on the first try to the Amplifi HD with no issues.  I can't say there still isn't an issue with the Ring I have now, but it has been working good, even connected to the mesh AP, and not the main router on the Amplifi.  Of course this doesn't make much sense to me.  The Ring would not connect to the Orbi or my old Netgear router before.  It is possible this was a combination of the Ring not being compliant with new standards on the Orbi.

Just leaving this as feedback, as I hope Netgear can fix whatever issues some devices are having with the new router.  It was a shame I had to return it and get the Amplifi.  I like the simplicity of the Amplify having an app that can manage all the settings and a guest network. For Ubiquiti's first home router they did a pretty good job.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and help! 🙂

Message 26 of 61
jjon90
Guide

I really don't think the problem is with netgear. If it was ALL of us would experiance the same problems which we are not! 

Message 27 of 61

@jjon90 wrote:

I really don't think the problem is with netgear. If it was ALL of us would experiance the same problems which we are not! 

exactly

the issue as i see it is if the ring door bell connects to a sat and not the orbi router ,  the ring ppl originally said it was a mesh thing , but something seems to break when the communication is through the sat suggesting its a mac based issue or a protocol the ring door bell is using that is having issue crossing the sat / router data path

disabling the implicit beam forming may be part of the issue as well as the ring door bell could just not be beamforming compatible but i dont think beamforming its self is the whole issue

Message 28 of 61
peridoc
Tutor

I too am having this issue. Would love to figure out how to fix the issue. My particular issue is that I can connect just fine the initial time I setup, but connections after that don't seem to happen. I have tried adjusting some of the settings here with little effect.
Message 29 of 61
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello peridoc

Make sure you are on the latest firmware and also you want to make sure beam forming is disabled. You can find the setting in Advanced-Advanced setup-wireless Settings then uncheck Enable Implicit Beamforming and Enable Mu-Mimo.

DarrenM

Message 30 of 61
peridoc
Tutor

Adjusting these settings has helped, but there are still times where the unit is not connecting properly.  I do appreciate the comments and look forward to when the Orbi works all the time with the Ring.  I am not sure why it is intermittent, but it seems to be after a while of no activity from the Ring that this happens.

Message 31 of 61
wilderw
Guide

Put me in the category of affected users. New Orbi kit with latest firmware installed V1.4.0.16. Orbi configured in AP mode.

All is well with Ring Doorbell AND Ring Doorbell PRO - until I enable the satellite. At that point connectivity issues with the Ring Doorbell Pro. Neither MU-MIMO nor beamforming are enabled. There were no issues with multiple other internet devices which was a pleasant surprise.

Power cycling the Ring Doorbell Pro - did not help.

Bill

Message 32 of 61
rhester72
Virtuoso

Zero issues here with my Ring Pro since intial Orbi release - the problems with the non-Pro model are well-known, but I'm unaware of any issues at all with the Pro.

I can't speak to ranging on the Pro's radio (it can't be that far with the very small power available) - if that's an issue, consider an inexpensive range extender just for the Pro.  (To be honest, though, my Pro hits the 5GHz radio without much issue through the outer wall and two inner walls, with a distance of roughly 25 feet between the doorbell and the router.)

Rodney

Message 33 of 61
Chris_Sp
Tutor

Yeap, same problem mumble mumble mumble

Message 34 of 61
Ineedamonk
Tutor

Same problem 1 flood cam 2 stick up cameras, all went down and can't see my new Orbii network. Changed SSID and PWD when setting up Orbii. Every other device connects no problem. When standing in front of the cameras I can connect to the Orbii network with my phone and tablet when standing in front of the camers so I know the signal is good.

Going to start moving around the satellites, then will disable beamforming. I read somewhere that Ring only uses 2.4ghz but on a triband system that shouldn't be a problem.

Really weird to see everything go down and stay down all at once.

Message 35 of 61
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ineedamonk

Did you ever get your cameras back on the network?

DarrenM

Message 36 of 61
Ineedamonk
Tutor

No. We are still working on it. I've taken everything down but one camera. The ring has much more trouble seeing the network then my phone does. Not sure why Orbii has this difficulty. Continuing to troubleshoot with Ring folks.

Message 37 of 61
Chris_Sp
Tutor

Had same sort of problem however with good support from Ring folks it was eventually remedied....FYI they remotely access network setting.....good product when it functions properly.

Message 38 of 61
Dan-
Tutor

Chris,

Installed Orbi yesterday and just encountered my first connection drop on Ring floodlight cam. Any idea what support did to correct your issue by accessing network settings remotely? Thanks.

Message 39 of 61
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dan

Have you disabled Beamforming and MUMIMO? We are working to fix these disconnect issues but disabling those 2 settings have helped people with ring and nest products.

DarrenM

Message 40 of 61
Dan-
Tutor

Hi Darren,
Thanks for the response. Yes, they were both disabled by default. I just added my ChimePro back into the mix to see if that helps by putting the camera on a different SSID. I'll monitor and will let you know in a few days how it behaves.
Message 41 of 61
Chris_Sp
Tutor

Memory unfortunately escapes me as to what Ring support done however Meghan was the representative who done an awesome job remedying the issue.
Message 42 of 61
Ineedamonk
Tutor

So I've still got this issue but its not the ring camera I think. With supports help I was able to reconnect. For whatever reason the orbii seems to to stop talking to the ring camera, despite it being able to attach to it. Sort of like it triggered an internal block list or something. Additionally I've noticed that streaming on the network is terrible when too many devices are streaming at once or when a single device streams for too long.. Not that they get bad signal but some get completely shut down from accessing the network for a period of time. Not sure if these things are related ( our ring camera sees a ton of activity).

Message 43 of 61
Dan-
Tutor

I haven't seemed to have any issues with disconnecting since adding the Chime Pro back into the environment. Video is still pixelated with artifacts and not clear for 1080, but I believe that's more of a result of the compression used to compensate for low bandwidth installs. Hopefully they provide a way to increase the bandwidth used for recordings for users that have greater bandwidth available at the camera in a future firmware upgrade.
Message 44 of 61
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Ring Door Bell (not Pro)

I have had issues with connecting and using my Ring Doorbell. After upgrading to a faster internet i finally managed to get it  and the chime working as it should using a Ubiquiti air Gateway router. Well almost, the video could be a little flakey at times due to weak signals in a large house with solid walls and too many connected devices.

It was decided to purchase the Orbi mesh system over the Amplifi HD as the Orbi has ethernet connections on both the router and satellite which was an essential requirement.

Everythig intalled OK except for the Ring Doorbell.

During the installation process,the SSID I wanted to connect to was not in the list. Connecting using the hidden SSID feature didn't work either.

After several attempts I found the earlier post suggesting a hard reset and disabling the data services on the phone, yes it works, though the app appears not to complete the process the doorbell is there in the app. Howevever not convinced all was perfect, decided leave it until the following morning. 

Not being able to understand why the data needed turning off it occured to me that there is a Ring Windows app (for 8.1 and above). No data to turn off on the laptop! So after another hard reset gave it a try. Result. Flawless installation process from start to finish for both the doorbell and the chime. Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

Both devices are connected to the router not the sat, when the doorbell is rung the chime audio does seem very quiet, not sure why. The video appears to work perfectly but not had a chance to answer it remotely yet.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 45 of 61
Liteczar
Initiate

Solution: Hi I have just spent the day troubleshooting Ring and Orbi and have found out the following.

If your Orbi is set to a 2.4ghz wireless channel over 11 the Ring doorbell will not see your wifi. As the wireless channel is auto selected this would explain why some users have no problem and other users cannot connect.

Disabling/enable mu-mimo and beamform will sometimes cause a channel change hence why it helps some users. But it is nothing to do with the problem and can be left on or off.

So if you want your Ring doorbell to work select a wireless channel below 11 in your Orbi wifi conf.
Message 46 of 61
cyberprashant
Luminary

I found using a guest network on the orbi just for the ring created a more reliable connection to the ring doorbell. Prev already disabled beamforming and mu-mimo without an improvement.I was having problems with live view prior to this
Message 47 of 61
cyberprashant
Luminary

In order to do this I didn't reconfigure the ring rather I just swap the names of the main network and guest Wi-Fi network is as much to configure the rest of devices than take down ring again
Message 48 of 61
Curlypaws
Aspirant

Thanks very much Liteczar - that solves my problem with both the Ring Chime and Ring Chime Pro, as well as my Evernote Scansnap Scanner which wouldn't work wirelessly for the same reason.

Message 49 of 61
Endorphine71
Apprentice

Glad to hear you got your issue fixed.

Back when I had my Orbi, even changing the channels did nothing.  Of course the Ring didn't have any way to change the channel or do any basic troubleshooting at the time.  They have since fixed this, probably somewhat due to my complaints on how bad the wifi setup was.  There wasn't a manual way to change anything, you had to remove the Ring from your account and it back again to go through the setup process.  Then on top of that, they double charged me for the $30 year cloud storage.  It was a mess.

I returned the Orbi within 30 days and got an Amplifi HD, which has worked flawlessly since I have had it.  Only difficult thing is upgrading the firmware, which takes around 3 mins, with the push of a button on the router or app.  I know the speed on the Orbi is faster, just with device compatiblity and support with Netgear was better. 

Who knows, maybe the Orbi2 will have all the bugs worked out.

Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7