Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ring Door Bell

see78
Star

I was having problems with getting a picture with my Ring Doorbell. In live view it would just have a circle spin and picture would never load. I would get notifications that someone was at the door and the recordings would be just sound with no image. Ring sent out a new doorbell because there was a hardware problem but now it appears it's unrelated because I continue to have same problem. I just DMZ'd the doorbell and have had zero problems since doing so. It's the first time in months it has worked this good. Anyone have setup instructions for opening ports on the Orbi for Ring so I can take it out of DMZ?
Message 51 of 61
Endorphine71
Apprentice

It is here on their webpage:  https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205385394-What-Ports-Do-I-Need-to-Open-in-My-Firewall-for...

If you are faced with a black screen when viewing video and live events in the Ring app, the problem may be related to port settings on your router. In business environments and certain home environments, incorrect port settings can cause device setup to fail as well. 

Internet-connected devices, such as Ring products, communicate with the internet by sending information through ports. Ports are designated openings between an internal home or business network and the outside internet. Each internet service sends data through specific ports. For example, Port 80 is used for website traffic. 

Ring uses the following ports:

TCP 80

TCP 443

TCP & UDP 15063

UDP range between 16500-32768

UDP 51504/51506

Ports can be “opened” or “closed” on your router’s firewall. Open ports allow devices to send information through them, while closed ports block all traffic.  Ring products only function properly if the required ports are open outbound from your router. The process to open ports can be different, depending on your type of router. Consult your router’s user manual for instructions on how to open ports.

Ring Chime also requires certain ports. If your Chime is not ringing, ensure that the following ports are open outbound as well:

TCP 80

TCP 443

TCP 9998

TCP 9999

The client applications also use the following outbound ports:

TCP 7078

TCP 9078

Ring devices and applications do not require any ports open inbound from the Internet on your router.

Message 52 of 61
rhester72
Virtuoso

Must be dumb luck, because Ring doesn't require any port forwarding whatsoever.  It establishes its connection outbound and uses push for notifications.

Rodney

Message 53 of 61
see78
Star

Yeah I don't know. I tjust ook it out of DMZ and rebooted Orbi. Ring went back to not showing video. DMZ'd it again and it's back to working.
Message 54 of 61
see78
Star

Endorphine71, I saw that and I what I was getting at was how to set the Orbi router up for that. In all my years of dealing with routers, PC games, PS 2-3-4, etc, I've never once had to port forward or port trigger. I DMZd my PS4 for open nat but that's it. I don't want to get in there and mess things up when I don't know what I'm doing. Kinda looking for a specific guide for this exact Ring/Orbi setup per your post.
Message 55 of 61
rhester72
Virtuoso

@Endorphine71:

It's worth noting that the ports listed are required *outbound* ports, not inbound.  Ring doesn't need holes poked in the inbound firewall, and thus I've no explanation why his only works in DMZ, unless it's a routing issue.

Rodney

Message 56 of 61
JAYSONE
Star

I was having issues with one of my ring doorbells. One day it went offline and couldn't get it connected, it always failed at some point.

I finally got it connected again today, the only differences this time around...

1. Did a hard reset in the ring doorbell; Press and hold orange button for 15 seconds
2. Put my iphone in airplane mode while doing the set up; according to ring support info, the cellular signal sometimes interferes.

My orbi is currently set up as default settings wise (outside of changing ssid and wifi password) since my whole fiasco after the latest firmware install.
Message 57 of 61
bigfatbassdrum
Aspirant

Thank Elvis for this! Was about to chuck 'em in the lake!! I tried most things mentioned up to this point with no joy but this worked straight away. 

Login to Orbi on your lap top.

Hit Advanced tab,

Advanced Setup,

VPN Service then changed both TUN Mode Service Type to from UDP to TCP

Then changed TAP Mode Service Ports to 80 on the top and 81 underneath

Bottom line left on auto.

Ring and Chime both saw the network immediatley and are working fine.

Thanks again.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 58 of 61
see78
Star

Still having problems with Ring Pro. Nothing works. I'm beginning to think it's just the quality of the doorbells I'm getting. Id assume that most people have no problems with recording/ live view but I've tried moving the router closer, unplugging the satellite, used an extender and my previous ASUS 68u as an access point. I was sent a replacement but I think it must be bad too. Every other wireless device works flawlessly right now at much greater distances. I even put in a new transformer. My internet speed is fine. I must be getting duds. Gonna to try to get another replacement but my personal experience so far is that this thing is garbage.
Message 59 of 61
cyberprashant
Luminary

@see78 wrote:
Still having problems with Ring Pro. Nothing works. I'm beginning to think it's just the quality of the doorbells I'm getting. Id assume that most people have no problems with recording/ live view but I've tried moving the router closer, unplugging the satellite, used an extender and my previous ASUS 68u as an access point. I was sent a replacement but I think it must be bad too. Every other wireless device works flawlessly right now at much greater distances. I even put in a new transformer. My internet speed is fine. I must be getting duds. Gonna to try to get another replacement but my personal experience so far is that this thing is garbage.

what orbi fw?  I was having ring doorbell issues but none now post-downgrade (enabled mu-mimo + beamforming + 1.11.0.20 fw + telnet method to disable upgrades)

Message 60 of 61
see78
Star

so Ring pushed out new firmware sometime in the last week and I haven't had any problems since. Knew it was on there end when everything else worked fine.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 61 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7