Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router mysteriously stopped working in the night

Collide9
Aspirant

Router mysteriously stopped working in the night

My brother set up our Orbi router a few days ago and it was working fine. Last night when I went to bed it was working fine. I got up this morning and the router was flashing red and no internet. I connected my computer directly to the modem by ethernet and internet is fine (I'm on that now).

He registered it so I can't call support or anything. I have unplugged it several times and finally did a hard reset and was going to just reset it up completely. I downloaded the app to do the complete setup again and it wont show up on the wifi list anymore. I noticed online that if the satelites are solid magenta that it is not able to connect to the router. They are solid magenta. So does that mean that even the satelites arent able to communicate with the router? Therefore, the router is broken in some way? They should be able to connect to the router if they're in range no matter what right?

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router mysteriously stopped working in the night

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Message 2 of 17
Collide9
Aspirant

Thanks for replying,

I'm not sure how to tell what firmware is installed.

The modem says MODEL DPQ3212 and its made by CISCO

I don't know how to tell which mode it's in.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, checking to see if there was a built in router at the modem. Your ok here. 

Log into the RBRs web page and you'll see the FW version displayed on the upper right hand corner next to the log out button. 

Has a full power OFF of the ISP modem and Orbi system for 1 minute then back on? Power ON the ISP Modem first, then the Orbi. 

I would have your ISP check the signal quality and level up to the modem. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 17
Collide9
Aspirant

I was unplugging it for around 20sec because I thought it only needed 10, but I just did a few minutes and no change.

I'm not sure how to change or check any of that stuff because it is not showing up on my wifi list and I can't open any settings in it. The app is waiting for me to connect to it but its not showing up in wifi to do anything.

One satelite is only 15-20ft away in a straight line down the hall and solid magenta.

Everything was working fine up until sometime last night.

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web broswer connected to the RBR.

20 feet is too close betwen the RBR and RBS. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 6 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@Collide9 wrote:

I connected my computer directly to the modem by ethernet and internet is fine (I'm on that now).

I think we are suggesting rather than use the Orbi "app", that you connect the computer directly to the Orbi with an ethernet cable.  Open a web browser and connect to the Orbi router.  It should be at "orbilogin.com" or at 192.168.1.1.  The Orbi web interface will provide information about the firmware, the modem connection, etc.

Message 7 of 17
Collide9
Aspirant

Thanks again for replying guys,
I tried direct hook up and going to those sites, no luck. It just gives me an error saying no internet. I don't know what I'm doing 😅
Message 8 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

OK.  How about this:

• Power off the Orbi, satellite, & modem.
  • Power on the modem and wait until the lights settle down (can be up to 2-3 minutes)
  • Connect the WAN (yellow) port on the Orbi router to the modem.
  • Power on the Orbi router (not the satellite yet)
  • Connect the computer with an ethernet cable to one of the Orbi router LAN ports.
  • Find out which IP address has been assigned to the computer and what has been designated as its "gateway".
    On Windows, from the Start button, open a command (DOS) window (by typing "CMD" into the box labelled "Search programs and files:)
  • In the command window type in "ipconfig /all" (no quotes)
    On my computer, this is what I get:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-25-64-0F-BA-CD
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 11:54:26 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 11:54:26 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

This says that the Orbi has assigned my computer the IP address 192.168.1.2 and that the Orbi is located at 192.168.1.1 (the Default Gateway)

Open a web browser on the computer and in the address at the top type in "http://<the Gateway IP Address>

This should bring up a login to the Orbi web interface.  The user ID is always "admin" (no quotes) and the password is whatever you set the Orbi admin password to (not the WiFi password).

OK so far?

Message 9 of 17
Collide9
Aspirant

Ok I did that and next to default gateway it is blank.
Message 10 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Do you remember if the Orbi was set up as a "router" or as an "Access Point"?

Message 11 of 17
Collide9
Aspirant

I don't know, I'll try to find out. Thanks
Message 12 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Because if it is an Access Point, then everything gets an IP address from the modem/router, which appears not to be working correctly.

If you do a "factory reset" on the Orbi, it will start out as a router.

i.e. stick the end of a paperclip into the tiny "reset" hole on the back until the power LED changes from green to amber and then begins to flash amber.  Takes about 10-15 seconds.  Be patient.

At this point, the Orbi should be in "router" mode.  It should give out IP addresses to anything connected (with wire or WiFi).

The WiFi name and password will be what is printed on the label

The web interface user name will be "admin" and the password will be "password".

Try ipconfig /all again and see what you get.

Message 13 of 17
Collide9
Aspirant

Ok I did the reset and the internet started working on this computer but the default gateway was giberish then an IP below it. That IP didn't work so started over with the procedure from earlier. It gave me 68.102.112.1 and that didn't work either. I'll do a reset again.
Message 14 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

If you have Cox cable, then 68.102.112.1 is your "public IP address" assigned by Cox.

If the Cox modem is "only a modem", then 68.102.112.1 will be the WAN (Wide Area Network) address of your Orbi.  That should make the Orbi's LAN (Local Area Network) address 192.168.1.1

Message 15 of 17
Collide9
Aspirant

Thanks so much for all your help guys, I got ahold of technical support and he said it must be a firmware issue and to just return it to the store for an exchange. I really appreciate your help!

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Let us know how the new system works out for you. 

@Collide9 wrote:

Thanks so much for all your help guys, I got ahold of technical support and he said it must be a firmware issue and to just return it to the store for an exchange. I really appreciate your help!

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7