× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satelite Setup

BILLYT007
Follower

Satelite Setup

Can I setup the Satelite for this router as a AP using the ethernet ports cabled to a powerline devices as there is too much interfearance using it as a wifi extension.

I am using the router as a router without a modem.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Satelite Setup

@BILLYT007 wrote:

Can I setup the Satelite for this router as a AP using the ethernet ports cabled to a powerline devices as there is too much interfearance using it as a wifi extension.

I am using the router as a router without a modem.

There must be some device that connects the Orbi router to the internet, either a modem or a fiber ONT

Satellites are always access points (because they perform no routing functions).

Technically, Yes, an Orbi satellite can be connected to the router using any type of ethernet.  As far as the router and satellite are concerned, all they see is an ethernet able connection.  Whether PowerLine will have better performance than the 5G WiFi backhaul link relates to how good the PowerLine link is.  I have three PowerLine units installed to connect my Tivo and Tivo Remote to the internet.  (Was using MoCHA before and got tired of the cable clutter.)  Right now, they are showing a raw transmission link of 1,100mbs to the nearest unit which is on the same electrical circuit and 400mbs to the unit on a different electrical circuit which is farther away in length of wire.  As with WiFi, the actual performance in terms of data througput is only a fraction of this imaginary "Link Rate".

It can do no harm to try.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7