Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellites lose dns connectivity reproducibly

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Satellites lose dns connectivity reproducibly

A consistent and regular issue I encounter is satellites losing dsn connectivity.  I've been testing and troubleshooting orbi pretty thorgoughly (not by choise mind you) and this is a consistently reproducible issue.  I've had pretty estensive conversations about placement and my environment so no need to delve into any of that.  I've experimented with placement to the extent that is possible in my house.

There is no nearby interfearence and I have good and consistent 5G wirless backhaul connectivity (according to the admin console).  Yet the satellites consistently drop dns connectity.

Steps/Config:

1) Orbi RBR50 Router, 2 Satellites (1 at 30 ft, 1 at 200 ft). Wireless backhaul: verified good 5G connectvity.

2) Each Sattelite can be ping'd at it's IP address (dynamically assigned IP address at setup).

3) 35 devices (4 wired/ethernet to main router, 1 wired/ethernet to Satellite 2).

4) Cable Modem connected to main router: no internet connectivity issues.

5) Let network run.

Results:

Consistently at least 1 or both Sattelites will lose dns connectivty and are unable to ping google.com. 

All devices connected to this satellite are unable to ping google.com and have lost internet connectivity, but do have local LAN connectivity.  They are able to ping the main router and see other devices on the network.

I know it's specific satellites because devices connected to the main router are able to ping google.com and have internet connectivy.

Workaround:

Disconnect/power-off the offending satellite.  Devices then will fall over the other satellite or main router and regain internet connectivity.

Comments:

I do not have the option of wired backhaul nor do I have the option of moving my main router due to the cable access point.  My house is only 1200 sq feet but still has 5G deadspots.  I've mapped this out.  I need the satellites to get the 5G coverage I need.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Re: Satellites lose dns connectivity reproducibly

Maybe it's a typo, but 200' is too far for a satellite to get a stable connection.  If your house is 1200 SF, how on earth do you have your satellite 200' away? Is your house less than 6' wide?

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's more like 100 ft max.  I'm not that great with distances.  It's in another room on the other side of the house.  If it had a 5G connectivity issue, I'd see it.  It doesn't.  So it's greater than 30 ft, less than 100 and within 5G range.

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Twice today my sattelite has lost DSN connectivity.  Just unplug it and I'm back in business.  It's so reproducible.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this the only satellite to exhibit this issue? Try swapping around satellites to see if problem follows?

Try setting this one satellite at around 30-40 feet.

I presume max distance between the router and farthest satellite depending upon building materials maybe around 50-60 feet. Mines at 40 feet. Both wired and wireless have not experienced this kind of problem.

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've swapped satellites and am now testing the beta firmware and still see the same issue.  Both satellites lose dns connectivity.  Specifically all devices connected to those satellites lose dns connectivity but devices connected to the router do not.  When this occurs, devices connected to satellites are able to ping the router just fine.

This is fixed by powercylcing the satellites.  It appears to be that what triggers it is load.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, keep us posted. If the beta FW doesn't fix this, I would ask NG for replacement RMA on the satellites.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7