Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Security vs Speed : When is it more practical to use port forwarding instead of VPN?

Yarrow
Aspirant

Security vs Speed : When is it more practical to use port forwarding instead of VPN?

Network Specs: Double Nat, 50Mbps DOWN - 5Mbps UP

Hello, I have a VPN server setup on my Orbi RBK50 using OpenVPN. I have it setup almost to my liking. But this is has given me some questions. Maybe someone can give input. So I can access my NAS, my security cameras and I can watch YouTube while connected. However I can't access the internet. I have a feeling its the Orbi not directing data back to the ARRIS Router and out to Web. I've only forwarded the VPN port from the ARRIS to Orbi, which allowed me to talk to my NAS. 

With that said, I've noticed a couple of things. I had questions about how practical this is. Though the NAS and security cameras work, its basically unusable. I'm sure my 5Mbps Upload speed is the bottleneck in my setup. If I'm tunneling into my network, then going back out to the internet, does that essentially make my 5Mbps UPLOAD speed, my DOWNLOAD speed going out the VPN? If so, would it be worth it to just open the individual ports for these devices, connect to a VPN server out on web and use the VPN encryption that way? I've never really needed upload speeds so Im not sure. I had thoughts of tunneling into my network and playing music and videos.  Would I be streaming from my NAS at 5Mbps? What would be the minimum upload speed to make a home VPN server practical ?

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Security vs Speed : When is it more practical to use port forwarding instead of VPN?

@Yarrow wrote:

Network Specs: Double Nat, 50Mbps DOWN - 5Mbps UP

Hello, I have a VPN server setup on my Orbi RBK50 using OpenVPN. I have it setup almost to my liking. But this is has given me some questions. Maybe someone can give input. So I can access my NAS, my security cameras and I can watch YouTube while connected. However I can't access the internet. I have a feeling its the Orbi not directing data back to the ARRIS Router and out to Web. I've only forwarded the VPN port from the ARRIS to Orbi, which allowed me to talk to my NAS. 

With that said, I've noticed a couple of things. I had questions about how practical this is. Though the NAS and security cameras work, its basically unusable. I'm sure my 5Mbps Upload speed is the bottleneck in my setup. If I'm tunneling into my network, then going back out to the internet, does that essentially make my 5Mbps UPLOAD speed, my DOWNLOAD speed going out the VPN? If so, would it be worth it to just open the individual ports for these devices, connect to a VPN server out on web and use the VPN encryption that way? I've never really needed upload speeds so Im not sure. I had thoughts of tunneling into my network and playing music and videos.  Would I be streaming from my NAS at 5Mbps? What would be the minimum upload speed to make a home VPN server practical ?

Being able to access the internet through the OpenVPN connection is an option on the VPN Setup page. On my system, I have it set and it appears to work:

Clients will use this VPN connection to access ( ) Auto (*) All sites on the Internet & Home Network ( ) Home Network only

Having two "routers" (Arris and Orbi) frequently interferes with applications such as VPN (and a number of others).  Since you have managed to get into the LAN via OpenVPN, I would check that VPN setting first.

You are correct that the 5mb "upload" speed from the ISP is the maximum possible bandwidth from the Orbi system TO the internet (less overhead of course).  Playing music will consume very little bandwidth.  When I have 4 "Live" security cameras, the client software reports less than 2mb bandwidth. Streaming HD video will be impossible.

Opening other ports directly to the NAS and security cameras makes them 100% responsible for internet security.  OpenVPN builds a security layer on top of the existing protection built into the products.

I am not sure what to make of the idea of "connect to a VPN server out on the web".  Connect the Orbi? Connect the remote computer?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7