Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Seemingly random loss of internet on random devices

MrTaz40
Aspirant

Seemingly random loss of internet on random devices

Hi All,

I have an RBR40 Orbi Router with 2 RBS40 Orbi satellites (for some reason I can not select RBR40 in the list of models on the boards here).

Since I put the units in place over a year ago, I have had random problems.  Back when I started with these, I had done my research and I knew mesh networks were still up and coming and full of problems with devices, so I held my tounge and hoped that a firmware or few might fix my problems.  Now it's been a while, and I am still experiencing some of the same issues as I had when I began with these units.

At random times some of my devices will loose connection to the internet, but they will still be connected to the wifi.  It seems to happen most to my families phones (we have 5, two Android and three iPhone), and often all of the phones will loose internet through wifi all together.  It also happens to our Windows laptops.  We have 2 Windows 10 machines and 2 Windows 7 machines.  I leave my Windows 7 machine online most of the time and I notice that it doesn't appear to loose internet connectivity as much as the other machines that are always turned off and back on when needed.  Finally I notice that my home automation equipment will loose internet, but I can still see them connected via the attached devices web page on the Orbi.  I use 5 nest cameras, and 3 nest smoke detectors and a few Alexa devices and wifi enabled lights connected through a Wink hub.  So I use a lot of wifi enabled devices, generally speaking I have between 25 and 30 devices connected to my wifi through out the day and I have more on demand equipment that needs wifi once in a while that can go up to 40 devices connected to my wifi at one time.

So with all this background, out of the way, I have looked into this a few times under different theories. 

• My first theory was that I simply have too many devices connected to the wifi.  I removed devices to keep the connected devices below 20 and still after about a week of connectivity I will randomly have devices that are connected to the wifi but can't get to the internet.
  • My second theory was that it was my modem or cable provider.  This was a stretch for me because when I get the devices that can't connect to the internet, I also have other devices that have no problem at all.  So I did some simple up time and route monitoring and I did not see any problems with either the modem nor the upstream connection.
  • My final theory has been a firmware issue.  I have applied many firmware over the course of the ownership of these devices.  Some of them have certainly seemed to fix the issue while others seem to make the issue worse.  The problem is that I can't specifically point out which firmware was best vs which wasnt.

So I am writing to the community to see if others have had this issue or to see if anyone can give me a few pointers on what to do to isolate the issue.  I am fairly technical so if we think network traces or other monitors might help, please blurt them out and I'll go give them a look.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Seemingly random loss of internet on random devices

What FW version are you using the the router and Satellite(s)?

What Mfr and model# ISP modem is the Orbi connected too?

Any wifi neighbors nearby? If so, how many?

Try using manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

Ensure distance between the router and satellites starts at about 30 feet minimum. Any closer and could be problems, same with being too far. Also bulding materials can impact wireless.

Message 2 of 4
MrTaz40
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply FURRYe38.

I am running the latest firmware: V2.1.4.16.  The problem is that this has been happening since I have owned the units, its not new, I have used many different firmwares and on some it has been worse than on others.

I have attempted manual channels and have attempted disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and none of them seem to change the situation.

The units are placed signifcantly apart.  One is on the 3rd floor, one is in the basement and one is in the pool house.  Each are more than 30 feet away from any other.  The house was built in 1990.  It has some interesting materials, including steel struts in each floor and interior metal beams between rooms.  With previous single routers, i could almost cover the whole house and did not have any problems with devices loosing internet connectivity but maintaining wifi connectivity.  My network has grown significantly since I last used a single device for my wifi needs.

I have an older MOTOROLA SB5120 Surfboard modem, it hasn't been upgraded in years, and I will probably try to upgrade that later today.  Is there a test I can perform to see if it is the modem without buying a new one?  A way to monitor the traffic through the router to see if the modem is dropping the connection before it sends it on to my provider?  The modem is my modem, but ofcourse it is connected to Xfinity, so I am slightly limited to what they let me have access to on it.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try placing the satellites closer to the router. You maybe having some signal loss issues with the distances and possibly building materials also being a cause...Try placing at 30 feet and see...

How big is the home? SqFt?

I would try a full factory reset on the Router and Satellites as set up from scratch if you have never done this after doing a FW update.

Ya the 5 series modem is several years old. I'm amazed the CC is letting you use it. It's a modem only so theres nothing you can configure on this modem. Stand alone modems are prefered with the use of external routers. You could check into getting a newer Arris SB 6183 or Motorola MB7420 or NG CM600.

You can try connecting your PC directly to the modem and use these programs to see if there are any issues:

http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

http://www.pingplotter.com/ and instructions on how to set up pingplotter: http://www.badmodems.com/PinrplotterInstructions.htm

Avoid modems listed here:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7