Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Separate 2.4 ghz from 5.0ghz

Confused147
Aspirant

Separate 2.4 ghz from 5.0ghz

I need to rename the 2.4Ghz SSID so it is different to the 5 Ghz SSID.  I can't do this via Telnet as NetGear have disabled this.  There are MANY devices from manufacturers such as Jura, Whirlpool, JA Solar, EON etc that require you to only use 2.4GHz and can only connect via a device such as a phone or ipad already on the nextwork.  If you have an apple device, it automatically connects to 5GHz and therefore won't work.  I don't understand why a simple change to the Admin GUI to enable one to change the name of both SSIDs can't be added.  I have tried reducing the 5Ghz strength to 25% and stopping it from broadcasting its SSID and turning off the satelites but that doesn't work.  Anyone with any other ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

i haven't had issues in quite a while with IoT devices. They should work if you're connected to 5ghz but if they don't its because of poor coding on the device makers part. 

What I used to do when mesh first came out and it was an issue? 

I either used an old router or a hot spot. I'd shut off my primary router and name the hotspot name the same as my router. Setup the Iot device, turn off the hotspot, and boot up the mesh router. the devices always connected. Again, I haven't had to do this in years. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

i haven't had issues in quite a while with IoT devices. They should work if you're connected to 5ghz but if they don't its because of poor coding on the device makers part. 

What I used to do when mesh first came out and it was an issue? 

I either used an old router or a hot spot. I'd shut off my primary router and name the hotspot name the same as my router. Setup the Iot device, turn off the hotspot, and boot up the mesh router. the devices always connected. Again, I haven't had to do this in years. 

Message 2 of 3
Confused147
Aspirant

As it happens, I had come to the same conclusion and was part way through setting up an old router when I read this.  It solved my problem.  Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7