Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up Orbi backhaul

FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance you have your prior router? If you do, turn OFF the Orbi system temporarily. Turn on the prior router. YOu don't have to have it connected to the ISP Modem or anything. Be sure to set up the 2.4Ghz radio portion of the router for same SSID name and password as on the Orbi. Get your devices to connect to it. Once you have them connected. Turn ON the Orbi system and let it come to ready. Soon as the Orbi system is ready, turn OFF the prior router. Your devices should migrate over to the orbi wifi signal with out any hiccups. I had to do this once of a Amazon Dot I was trying to connect. Smiley Indifferent

Message 26 of 37

when I originally set-up the original 2.4 was on - I in effect did this by accident- Unfortunately its back in the box! which is a shame as I had great hopes for it! I never got the router off the solid magenta led ring after the initial set-up when it was blue, seemed strange as all connections were good and speed test showed almost full speed of my phone line!

I realise Netgears take on why they have set-up the UI the way they have, its just a shame it does not readily suit my wants and needs.

Off course its their porpogative to lock down the system as they please, but I cananot help ut think they are missing a tick a little.

I would alos say that I was very surprise at the difference in performance of the user interface between the Netgear and the ASUS router, it is surprisilngly night and day, in terms of usability and speed, but I guess that is to some degree opinion and expecation.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to my brief dabble with the Netgear Orbi it is very much appreciated.

Keep well all and I will keep a wee eye out on this thread for a day or so!

Message 27 of 37

I would add, it took literaly 30 seconds for me to get all 26 of my client nodes back up and running on bringing my old setup back to life- so notheing ventuted nothing gained, but zero harm done!!

Message 28 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to now try the Orbi RBR out if it's using the same SSID name and PW as your current router. If you can try this at some point. 

Message 29 of 37

Tried Having them both running - and then switching off , tried dropping power on 5ghz tried everything I could think of really , guess the nature of my setup and needs just meant it’s not the product I need !
I assume they have disabled the ability to split the network SSID’s using telnet as even this did not work ?
Message 30 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, hoped that would have worked.

Running out of ideas. 

Message 31 of 37

Yeah I tried every logical and some irrational things for the best part of 5 1/2 hours to get even 1 of the problematic items to mount !! Contacted retailer and after a bit of discussion they are collecting - will have to think of a plan b although some items appear to be in short supply !!
Message 32 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

One last ditch effort you can try. You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Message 33 of 37

Hi, will give it a read, but reluctant to do to much fulling as my current situation is it’s going back to supplier.
Thanks for helping, looks like I will just have to stick out poor throughput until this goes back I get my cash and I consider other options !
Again thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated ,

Regards

Iain
Message 34 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully find someting that works well for you.

Good Luck. 

Message 35 of 37

Thanks
Message 36 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats