× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Shark Robot IQ won't stay connected to Wifi

Sweetmo
Aspirant

Shark Robot IQ won't stay connected to Wifi

I've scoured the internet and forums for several days and can't find a specific match on this scenario.   Upfront,  I am pretty sure I know what the problem is, but I don't understand why it gets there when it does.     My Orbi is an RBR40 and two satellites on covering three floors of my house and outside patio area.   Setup has worked great for almost two years with no complaints from the family.

So,  I bought this Shark Robot IQ .   I read reviews and knew I had a 2.4 Ghz with Orbi, so no problem on that requirement.   I set up the Shark Robot IQ via the Iphone app and Shark robot connected perfectly.    I scheduled through the app a run through the house - no problems.   About day or two after all this,  I lost connection to the robot.   So,  as instructed by Shark, I turn off the robot, turn it back on, put it back on the dock - poof - wifi is back up and running.   I tell the robot to clean - no problem.   It runs through the  main floor of the house and docks back to the station.   Next day,  I notice the robot is disconnected again.   

That's when the hunt for a solution began and found issues with mesh networks.   The problem I have doesn't seem to match most problems I've found.   I actually do connect to the wifi and never have issues while running the vacuum on wifi.   I've even left the house and checked on the robot while away on my iphone and it still is running on wifi.   I've moved a satellite around,  I've tried various changes to Orbi settings, and the same results occur.    The iphone always connects to the 5 ghz band and robot obviously hooks up to the 2.4 ghz band, so the two are obviously communicating despite the band variance.

I am defeated at this point and raised the white flag.   I've not reached out to Shark yet although I have a feeling they will point the finger back at the mesh network.   I am not about to crack the Orbi and split the SSID as it seems to defeat the purpose of the mesh network.   I'll likely just keep flipping the switch and running the vacuum that way as a minor inconvenience.   I just wanted to hear from the forum on what explanation could it be that all is connected for a period of time and then just drop off like it does.    

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Shark Robot IQ won't stay connected to Wifi

something to try? 

If you have an old router sitting around (even a wireless g/n one, the shart doesn't transmit much data), connect it and run it in AP (access point) mode. Just put the AP on a different ssid/wireless so it doesn't interfere with the orbi. 

See if the shark stays connected. 

maybe its the shark, maybe it has an issue with roaming between satellites. 

Or even try shutting off the satellites during a period where its running and see if its an issue when its not roaming between router/satellites.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7