Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I change to AP mode or Bridge?

Tempo36
Aspirant

Should I change to AP mode or Bridge?

Today I got new Centurylink Fiber set up at a new home and they installed their own Actiontek C3000 router. I had read up on the topic and was all ready to have to set up the Orbi in AP mode or to try and bridge through the Actiontek but when I plugged in the Orbi and went to access the settings menu it autoconfigured itself and gave a message "we have deteced your orbi is connected to a router or gateway. You may use your Orbi as a router" and then the network just...works. I disabled all the Actiontek's radios and things seem to be working. Throughput seems to be reasonably good. All the features seem to be working via the Orbi app. What's up? From what I had read, this shouldn't be working, but it seems to be. Should I even bother trying to get the Orbi into AP mode? Should I bother with trying to Bridge? I feel like maybe I should just not poke it though since some people have lots of problems. 

Something I'm missing? Something I should check? Some horrible performance problem that's going to happen that I just haven't noticed yet? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Depending if there router can be removed or not depend upon want you could do with the RBR. Ask the ISP of there router can be replaced by the RBR. If not, then you have options from above to review...

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tempo36 wrote:

You may use your Orbi as a router" and then the network just...works.

Something I'm missing? Something I should check? Some horrible performance problem that's going to happen that I just haven't noticed yet? 

The answer is, "It depends."  I ran my Orbi as a router behind a Spectrum router for over a year.  No problems.  Then, I went to set up OpenVPN to reach my Orbi from outside.  FAIL.  Turns out there are a host of situations where a "double NAT" (Google it) messes things up.  When I got a Sprectrum upgrade, I said, "bring me a plain modem."  Now, I have OpenVPN humming along.

As @FURRYe38 said, there are two 'nice' ways to eliminate a "double NAT"

• Make the ISP device a "modem only" by putting it into bridge or passthrough mode
  • Put the Orbi into access point (AP) mode, which means giving up any "cool features" that you wanted from the Orbi, like Disney Circle, Armor, OpenVPN, external management, etc.  (I do not use Disney Circle or Armor.)
  • There is a third option which is a "last resort" sort of thing.

So, "It all depends"

Message 3 of 4
Tempo36
Aspirant

Thanks folks!

I chickened out on Bridge because the idea of having to deal with Centurylink by phone while potentially screwing up my internet entirely seemed just too awful.

I moved the Orbi to AP mode and it's working fabulously with transfer speeds up to 400-600mbps throughout the house. No parental controls...but the kid is only 5 so I have a few years before I have to worry much about that one.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7