Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Download speed RBR50

OrbiMakeMeSad
Aspirant

Slow Download speed RBR50

Another sad case of slow download speeds. This is over a wired connection. Straight from WIN10 PC to RBR50v2 (Firmware V2.5.1.8). I can plug WIN10 PC straight into the drop from the ONT and get my full 300 up/down. When i plug same cable back into RBR50 I get 80s or 90s up and down. I did a factory reset...this solved the issue for about 2 hours and now i'm back to the slow speeds. I contacted frontier and of course they say nothing is wrong and i believe then since i can plug straight into the drop and get my 300 up and down. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS DEVICE. I'm using the embedded speedtest function and other sites. It's not "the wrong speed test".

I have no DMZs, VPNs, parental controls, (even turned off Armor). I changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 and back to ISP DNS. No change on either setup. 

Please help me. I'll post logs or screenshots or whatever.

Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow Download speed RBR50

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Does the RBR still experience the slow down if the RBS is turned off? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try more recent version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Message 2 of 4
OrbiMakeMeSad
Aspirant

I updated to 2.5.1.16. Speeds when back up to 300 up and down. For about 3 hours. Now I'm back down in the 80s. Both of the RBS are turned off. Then always show good signal when on though. About 25 feet away. This isn't a wireless issue. This is a wired connection

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support and ask for additional help with this...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7