Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow wireless speeds and disconnects with Orbi

Slow wireless speeds and disconnects with Orbi

I've had the Orbi system for several months now, and had some minor connectivity issues with my PC and iphone but overall it worked pretty great. I'm not sure what happened but as of the last couple weeks the disconnects got so much worse to the point I was forced to call tech support. The tech although informing me I was outside of my 90 day tech support warranty opted to help me. He made some changes to the routers settings and that did help, my PC that is connected to the satellite (wired) wasn't getting disconnects anymore but my ping in online games is now so bad that its vitrually unusable. My ping in games used to be steady, now it flucuates all over the place and sometimes even goes above 200.

I've called and spoken with two more techs and the last tech's only advice was that I wait for the new firmware coming out this week. He told me if that doesn't work they would replace my unit. He also had me reset the router, and even reverting the previous changes didn't seem to get the ping and lag under control.

I have no issues with my iMac that is connected directly to the router. My issues have mainly been with the PC that is wired to the upstairs satellite and my iphone disconnecting. I even tried completely unplugging the satellite and just using the wireless signal coming from the router and the same problems occur. Like I said before this issue has only just started as of a couple weeks before that I had no "lag" or slow speeds. I called my ISP and they said everything was good on their end and I wasn't getting any packet loss. Not sure what changed but I was wondering if anyone else was facing a similiar problem. Thanks. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Re: Slow wireless speeds and disconnects with Orbi

Edit to original post:

30 minutes after making my original post the new firmware was downloaded. I tested the connection for 10 minutes before leaving for work and everything was back to normal. Latest firmware seems to have fixed my issues. Will test more when I get home.
Message 2 of 5
ArtLee
Apprentice

I think I had the same problem, with devices suddenly disconnecting from the satellite. Completely lost contact with the satellite. Then an hour later, while I was logged into the router, an upgrade flag popped up so I ran the upgrade. All has been find for more than 12 hours now.

Message 3 of 5

Well, the new firmware update from this week made the connection better for a day but now the fluctuating ping and slow speeds are back. Maybe it's time to return my unit and get a replacement. It's unacceptable that we have to deal with these issues especially with such an expensive piece of equipment.
Message 4 of 5
ArtLee
Apprentice

I had a problem tonight with my AppleTV showing fuzzy images, then stopping, then back to normal. Happened several times in a half hour. Checked my modem: everything was fine there. Logged into the router and satellite. Both seemed working. But, I noticed the AppleTV was connected to the router, not the closer satellite. I rebooted the AppleTV and it connected to the satellite. No more problems.

I don't know how to force devices to connect to the nearest wifi source. And, I wish the router page showed which devices were connected to which wifi signal, rather than forcing me to check the satelite page in addition to the router page. I've had Orbi for four days. This is the second night I have Netflix feed stop and start. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7