Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slower Speeds after firmware upgrade

nagendraprasath
Aspirant

Slower Speeds after firmware upgrade

I recently upgraded my orbi routers to firmware version V2.7.2.102 (both router and satellite) and noticing slower upload/download speeds over WiFi.

my internet connection is about 300Mbps and my wifi devices are seeing around

200 Mbps download and 120 Mbps upload.

However when i sit next to router, i get ~300 download/200upload.

I had better speeds before this upgrade. WiFi signal looks good though.

Is anyone seeing similar problems? or suggest any possible solution please...

speedspeedfirmwarefirmware

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24
alokeprasad
Mentor

I'm getting 480.31 Mbps down and 23.64 Mbps up on a PC ethernet connectedto the router.  This is slightly higher than my service speeds.

On WiFi, sitting in the same room as the router, I'm getting 540 Mbps from my iPhone to the router, as checked by the "WiFi Sweetspots" app on the iphone. 

This app tests the data transfer rate between the iOS device and the WiFi access point.  It is independent of any bottlenecks on the internet WAN side.

Message 2 of 24
alokeprasad
Mentor

As for suggestions:

Disable Daisy Chain if you have only 1 satellite (or are using star topology), enable Beamforming and MU-MIMO in the advanced wireless setup.

Message 3 of 24
vajim
Master

What type of speeds were you getting before the firmware update?

Message 4 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@nagendraprasath wrote:

I recently upgraded my orbi routers to firmware version V2.7.2.102 (both router and satellite) and noticing slower upload/download speeds over WiFi.

my internet connection is about 300Mbps and my wifi devices are seeing around

200 Mbps download and 120 Mbps upload.

However when i sit next to router, i get ~300 download/200upload.

I had better speeds before this upgrade. WiFi signal looks good though.

Is anyone seeing similar problems? or suggest any possible solution please...

speedspeedfirmwarefirmware

Message 5 of 24
nagendraprasath
Aspirant

I was getting 270-330 Mbps download and pretty much same upstream. Also i see much lower upstream speed compared to download.

Message 6 of 24
nagendraprasath
Aspirant

I tried android version of "WiFi Sweetspots" but a bit confused. My internet speed is 370Mbps. but i see 585Mbps with the app... is it calcluating device-to-router only?

Message 7 of 24
nagendraprasath
Aspirant

Ok, will try and update.

Message 8 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

@nagendraprasath wrote:

I tried android version of "WiFi Sweetspots" but a bit confused. My internet speed is 370Mbps. but i see 585Mbps with the app... is it calcluating device-to-router only?

Yes. Only between the device and host signal connection. This is not actual thruput speeds to the internet. 

Message 9 of 24
alokeprasad
Mentor

@nagendraprasath wrote:

Yes, it gives you the speed of the connection between your device and the Orbi unit (router or satellite) over WiFi.  This is the true measure of the strength/speed/quality of your Orbi setup.

The speed of a typical "speedtest" (of the link between your device and some server on the internet) can be affected by many things: It could be the Orbi setup, or your ISP, or any of the intermediate hops. 

Which is the lowest link in that chain stretching from your device to the server, which could be hundreds of miles from you?  That is what you are testing using a conventional speedtest.

It depends on what you want to test.  It is better to test the speeds by segmenting the link and testing each segment.

ISP to your cable modem: I use a ethernet connected pc connected to the Orbi router, The slowest link is likely to be your ISP.  I use speedtest and select a nearby server.  Or I use a nearby Netflix installation by using fast.com.

From your Orbi router to a device over wifi: I use WiFi Sweetspots in the same room as the Orbi router

From your Orbi Router to your Orbi satellite: I use a wired device plugged into the ethernet port on teh satellite.

From your Orbi satellite to your device over wifi: I use WiFi sweetspots standing next to the satellite.

Makes sense?

Message 10 of 24
nagendraprasath
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion!

Beamforming and MU-MIMO are already setup in the advanced wireless setup.

Disabling Daisy Chain didnt make a difference 😞

devices connected to Satellite (RB ) is getting crazy low speeds (10-40 Mbps download/5-30upload)

Message 11 of 24
alokeprasad
Mentor

Is WiFi Sweetspots showing low transfer speeds when standing near the satellite?

Try power-cycling the satellite.  That will make the router re-acquire the satellite.  Verify that the router's web interface is showing "Good" connection to the satellite over 5G.  Then test the satellite speed again.

Message 12 of 24
vajim
Master

We'll just file this post in the ..."I recently upgraded my orbi routers to firmware version..." file

SMH

Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@nagendraprasath wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Beamforming and MU-MIMO are already setup in the advanced wireless setup.

Disabling Daisy Chain didnt make a difference 😞

devices connected to Satellite (RB ) is getting crazy low speeds (10-40 Mbps download/5-30upload)

Message 14 of 24
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

ONE among thousands does NOT support success

Message 15 of 24
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

@vajim wrote: <User beware! Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 24
vajim
Master

@BoilerPlate wrote:

@vajim wrote: <User beware! Smiley Sad

Hey it's my friend mr boilerplate.     How's it going?

glad you're back.   we've missed you 

Message 17 of 24
Jesse_D
Aspirant

So funny enough, i followed recommendations to disable daisy chain, since i have a more hub and spoke setup. When i did that i was getting 10Mb on 5ghz 100% signal. It was driving me crazy. Turned it back on Bam! Back to full speed. Somethings wrong with the daisy chain setting.
Message 18 of 24
Jesse_D
Aspirant

So addendum to my post since theres no edit button. Turns out i had to have daisy chain AND WMM enabled. Otherwise i just get 10mb down. Hub and Spoke still works properly as well. Drove me nuts cause everyones recommendation is to turn off WMM and daisy chain unless you have a R-S-S config.
Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

WMM should always be enabled, Star formation or not. Daily Chain is mainly used for non start RBS formation. 

@Jesse_D wrote:
So addendum to my post since theres no edit button. Turns out i had to have daisy chain AND WMM enabled. Otherwise i just get 10mb down. Hub and Spoke still works properly as well. Drove me nuts cause everyones recommendation is to turn off WMM and daisy chain unless you have a R-S-S config.

Message 20 of 24
LaceyWest
Aspirant

Same Issue I was getting over 1gig i update and now my speed is 300mbs wired

Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2114172/high...

@LaceyWest wrote:

Same Issue I was getting over 1gig i update and now my speed is 300mbs wired

Message 22 of 24
LaceyWest
Aspirant

I did after i saw your reply and now my speed is 82mbps and my download light is flashing.
I have the CBR750 + 1 sat

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you post about this over in the Orbi with Cable modem forum and lets start a new thread there.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Thank you. 

@LaceyWest wrote:

I did after i saw your reply and now my speed is 82mbps and my download light is flashing.
I have the CBR750 + 1 sat

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7