Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Splitting 2.4G and 5.0G Signals

robdonald
Aspirant

Splitting 2.4G and 5.0G Signals

Hello,

Given the number of IoT devices that exist which only use a 2.4G connection, when is Netgear going to make it easy to connect a device without having to start modifying the router's firmware?

I'm attempting to configure a sauna heater to my RBR20 router.  The heater control can only connect using my phone and when my phone is using a 2.4G path.  Even after following the instructions on disabling the 5G SSID broadcast, my phone initially connects on 2.4G but then bounces to 5.0G within a few seconds.   

Why has Netgear made this so difficult?  I removed a perfectly serviceable D-Link router when I installed my RBR20 mesh system.  The D-Link had no difficulty providing two different SSID signals. 

If this problem cannot be resolved easily, I'll throw out the Netgear equipment and replace it with equipment that understands what users need to be able to do.

If Netgear is interested in helping me resolve this issue, they are welcome to contact me.

Regards,

Rob Donald

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Splitting 2.4G and 5.0G Signals

Newer Orbi AX and beyond systems do have support for legacy devices. I also have a few cameras that are 2012 era and still connecting to Orbi AX, AXE and BE systems. Even with Mixed Mode WPA2 and WPA3 set. However there are other devices that won't connect if WPA3 is in the mix. Why NG implemented the separate IoT network on Orbi AX and beyond systems. There is some compatibility there. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AC series never supported separation of SSID across the frequencies. Was only last year that NG introduced a separate configurable IoT SSID network on the Orbi AX and AXE series.

https://kb.netgear.com/000064267/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-the-Internet-of-things-IoT-network-on-my...

https://kb.netgear.com/000064269/How-do-I-change-the-Internet-of-things-IoT-network-name-SSID-and-password-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-6E-System

Something that NG probably wont be putting on the Orbi AC series since it's EoL now. 

If your interested in this feature then you'll need to upgrade to a Orbi AX or AXE system or find something that suits your needs.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 11
robdonald
Aspirant

Hello Furrye38,

Thanks for taking the time reading my post, clarifying my options and offering solutions.  I'll check out your recommendations.

Cheers,

Rob  

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@robdonald wrote:

Even after following the instructions on disabling the 5G SSID broadcast, my phone initially connects on 2.4G but then bounces to 5.0G within a few seconds.   

Would you mind sharing

• the specific sauna product involved.
  • the smart phone being used.

This sort of question comes up less frequently these days, so details may be significant.

In addition, after disabling SSID broadcast on 5G WiFi, did you "forget" the Orbi SSID, select it from the list of available WiFi networks, enter the password, and connect?

Another technique that some people have used is to:

• Reduce the Transmit Power on the 5G WiFi to the lowest possible setting.
  • Power off any satellites so that only the router remains active.
  • See if the smartphone will switch to 2.4G because the 5G signal is too low to be useful.
  • After the IoT device is connected, return the settings to normal.

Message 5 of 11
robdonald
Aspirant

Hello CrimpOn,

Here are some answers to your questions.  Thanks for asking.

The heater is a 6.0 KW Designer SL2 with a SaunaLogic2 Control package with a mobile app.  See attached file.

The phone is a Motorola e6.

Yes, I did 'Forget' the SSID and have to select and re-enter the password.  Still bounces to the 5Ghz frequency.

Now with all of that said, I have found a workaround solution.  I still have my previous Motorola phone (a Motorola G4 Play) and have used that phone to connect the SL2 Controller to my Netgear hub.  The G4 only communicates via 2.4GHz so it is able to establish the connection.  The surprising part is that once the connection is made, I then can launch the application on my e6 and it works perfectly, as if it initiated the connection.  Given my alternatives, this is an acceptable solution for the time being.

Another reason for not throwing out old gear!

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Message 6 of 11

@CrimpOn wrote:

@robdonald wrote:

Even after following the instructions on disabling the 5G SSID broadcast, my phone initially connects on 2.4G but then bounces to 5.0G within a few seconds.   

Would you mind sharing

• the specific sauna product involved.

Planning to buy one to add to your collection of IoT widgets?

Message 7 of 11

@CrimpOn wrote:

Another technique that some people have used is to:

• Reduce the Transmit Power on the 5G WiFi to the lowest possible setting.

Or, to achieve the same effect, move the phone you are using to set up the IoT device far enough away from the router/satellites so that the phone can't see the 5 GHz with its lower power. That will force it to connect to the 2.4 GHz.

Did anyone suggest that you complain to the people who made this IoT thing that it needs to crawl into the Mesh era?

Message 8 of 11

@robdonald wrote:

Given the number of IoT devices that exist which only use a 2.4G connection, when is Netgear going to make it easy to connect a device without having to start modifying the router's firmware?

A question that might also be aimed at the people who make these IoT gadgets. Why should router makers have to bend over backwards just because these people write crappy installation apps?

Message 9 of 11
robdonald
Aspirant

Sure, I get that for new devices. However, any new Mesh system would need to support legacy devices.

I have a number of older IoT devices which predates any mesh system currently on the market. I'm not prepared (and should not have) to replace those devices.

Rob

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Newer Orbi AX and beyond systems do have support for legacy devices. I also have a few cameras that are 2012 era and still connecting to Orbi AX, AXE and BE systems. Even with Mixed Mode WPA2 and WPA3 set. However there are other devices that won't connect if WPA3 is in the mix. Why NG implemented the separate IoT network on Orbi AX and beyond systems. There is some compatibility there. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7