Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stats on percentage of systems using a specific firmware

Wire1852
Apprentice

Stats on percentage of systems using a specific firmware

Quite frankly I have no idea what version of the firmware should be used on my system. My app says 1 version, my browser says another and the community agrees to disagree.  What I would like to see is stats from Netgear showing what their total Orbi database is using. Percentages are fine. And I mean a total breakdown showing a specific version is being used by a specific percentage of Orbi database.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
alokeprasad
Mentor

see windmill

tilt

repeat

In other words, this is a forum for users helping each other.  What is said here has very little to do with what Netgear sees or does.

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Please use CHOOSE FILE to attach screen shots of what you see on the RBRs web page and from the Orbi app would be more helpful. 

@Wire1852 wrote:

Quite frankly I have no idea what version of the firmware should be used on my system. My app says 1 version, my browser says another and the community agrees to disagree.  What I would like to see is stats from Netgear showing what their total Orbi database is using. Percentages are fine. And I mean a total breakdown showing a specific version is being used by a specific percentage of Orbi database.

Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Wire1852 wrote:

There are so many things we wish Netgear would share, including:

• What is the reason there appear to be two "forks" of Orbi firmware?
    Is there a "consequence" for using "US Only" firmware outside the US or "outside" firmware within the US?
  • Detailed "change log" of what is different about new firmware.
    (Not "security fixes" or "bug fixes")
  • If some firmware is insecure, in what way is it insecure?
    Perhaps list the CVE numbers?
    Perhaps explain how "serious" the vulnerability is or steps that can be taken to mitigate it?
  • Provide a web site where customers can report bugs in the firmware.
  • Provide a method to request warranty replacement after the 90 days of "complimentary support".
Message 4 of 13
tagteam
Virtuoso

@CrimpOn wrote:
There are so many things we wish Netgear would share, including:............

How about, "Provide the most recent firmware revision on the Downloads page"?

I updated my firmware through the web UI almost two weeks ago and the firmware version is still not available for download. ????

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@tagteam wrote:

I updated my firmware through the web UI almost two weeks ago and the firmware version is still not available for download. ????

I see this situation as part of the "lack of information" problem.  Customers are left to guess "what's going on?"  Maybe the "latest" addresses a problem with one specific firmware release that is no present on other releases?  No one knows.

Message 6 of 13
Wire1852
Apprentice

I'm not interested in being the first to update & past experience shows the Orbi software team has credibility problems as do some of forum users. At this point for me, a real test of the reliablity of the firmware version is the actual percentage of people using it. If I don't see a good percentage of people using the firmware, I see no reason to update.

I have had the RBK50 for 2 years. The hardware is good, the software support is horrible/non existent. I replace my routers every 3 years so I plan to replace my router next year & at this time I don't expect to buy either Orbi or Netgear.

@CrimpOn wrote:

@tagteam wrote:

I see this situation as part of the "lack of information" problem.  Customers are left to guess "what's going on?"  Maybe the "latest" addresses a problem with one specific firmware release that is no present on other releases?  No one knows.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

My friend down the road that I set up his Orbi 50 series back in 2017 is still working for him. Updates aumatically for him. Has has no issues since we installed it. 

Good Luck though. 

Message 8 of 13
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Wire1852 wrote:

.....I replace my routers every 3 years....

Why?

Message 9 of 13
Wire1852
Apprentice

New technology, faster performance. 

@tagteam wrote:

@Wire1852 wrote:

Why?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 10 of 13
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Wire1852 wrote:

New technology, faster performance. 

@tagteam wrote:

@Wire1852 wrote:

Why?

You're referring primarily to WiFi, correct? The reason I ask is because it sure seems like a lot longer than 3 years between WiFi protocols. For example, IIRC it was circa 5 years between N and AC and roughly 8 years between AC and AX (the latter of which is still being implemented -- I, personally, have zero AX devices).

Message 11 of 13
Wire1852
Apprentice

Looking forward to upgrading to WiFi 6 but also router internet speeds faster than 1GB. With the pandemic having a fast & reliable home network is essential. The amount of streaming/zooming this year in our home has grown significantly. If the internet providers offer higher speeds I want to be able to take advantage of it.

I tend to replace my computer hardware in 3 year cycles including routers. Could I keep them longer? Sure, But I like to plan ahead. On the other hand I do tend to keep my cars 10-15 years before replacing them.

@tagteam wrote:

You're referring primarily to WiFi, correct? The reason I ask is because it sure seems like a lot longer than 3 years between WiFi protocols. For example, IIRC it was circa 5 years between N and AC and roughly 8 years between AC and AX (the latter of which is still being implemented -- I, personally, have zero AX devices).

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Most ISPs only have 1Gb service speeds these days. I have seen anything over that as of yet. Also even if a ISP supports anthing over 1Gb speeds, you'll need to be sure the "modem" supports that as well as router. Some modems now have 2.5Gb WAN Ports and some routers as well on the WAN side, however there LAN ports are still limited by 1000Mbps on the RJ45 connections. Haven't seen much home class routers with any LAN ports that support anything over 1000Mbps as of yet. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7