Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Strange issues with Orbi RBR50 apps and websites

jerrremy
Aspirant

Strange issues with Orbi RBR50 apps and websites

Hi there,

I've had this router for about a year and it's been working fine, but I've recently started running into some really strange issues.

When using my mobile phone connected to WiFi, I can't access certain websites and some apps just don't work - specifically, all Google searches, Facebook, Instagram, and a few others. These websites work fine on all computers connected to the same WiFi network. These apps/websites work on other WiFi networks with the same phone with no issues. I have also tried connecting  other mobile phones (both iPhone and Android) to my network and all experience the same issues.

I have the router connected to the router provided by my ISP that's set to bridge mode.  I'm using the Orbi RBR50 router with one satellie connected and both are on firmware 2.3.5.30 .

Any help troubleshooting this would be hugely appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
ekhalil
Master

Re: Strange issues with Orbi RBR50 apps and websites

Will you please be able to download an app on the phone that can do "Trace Route" and do a trace route on the device to 8.8.8.8 and paste the results of the first 2-3 hubs.

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@jerrremy wrote:

Hi there,

I've had this router for about a year and it's been working fine, but I've recently started running into some really strange issues.

When using my mobile phone connected to WiFi, I can't access certain websites and some apps just don't work - specifically, all Google searches, Facebook, Instagram, and a few others. These websites work fine on all computers connected to the same WiFi network. These apps/websites work on other WiFi networks with the same phone with no issues. I have also tried connecting  other mobile phones (both iPhone and Android) to my network and all experience the same issues.

I have the router connected to the router provided by my ISP that's set to bridge mode.  I'm using the Orbi RBR50 router with one satellie connected and both are on firmware 2.3.5.30 .

Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 16
dkkruse
Aspirant

I have the same strange issue with my RBR50 which is only in AP mode with my Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway router.  FB, Instagram don't work, and then do when I turn off Wifi.  I'm also having the solid Purple Ring on my router and can't login... 

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Have you set up a reserved IP address on the FIOS router for the RBR? 

Is the RBR connected to the FIO router using the WAN port on the RBR? 

Ensure the RBR is in AP mode. 

Swap LAN cables between the FIOS router and RBR. 

@dkkruse wrote:

I have the same strange issue with my RBR50 which is only in AP mode with my Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway router.  FB, Instagram don't work, and then do when I turn off Wifi.  I'm also having the solid Purple Ring on my router and can't login... 

Message 5 of 16
jerrremy
Aspirant

Hello! Thanks for responding! Attached is a screenshot from my phone. Hopefully this is what you're looking for!

@ekhalil wrote:

Will you please be able to download an app on the phone that can do "Trace Route" and do a trace route on the device to 8.8.8.8 and paste the results of the first 2-3 hubs.

Message 6 of 16
jerrremy
Aspirant

Hello! Thanks for responding. The modem is an Actiontec T3200M, relabelled as a Telus modem (I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada). Link below:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/wifi-routers-gateways/vdsl/t3200m/

I set it to bridge mode and all wifi signals are turned off, but maybe there are additional settings I need to change. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@jerrremy wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks in advance!

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

If the modem is bridged, then you should be good here. 

Does the problems happen both with wired and wireless devices? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 8 of 16
jerrremy
Aspirant

The problems seem to happen only with mobile devices. My PC and laptop have zero issues  and are both on the WiFi network.

Home is 2000 sqft above grade, 1000 sqft finished basement. The Orbi router is in the basement, sitting up towards the ceiling in the furnace room. The satellite is on the next floor dirctly above. Is that too close for the satellite?

I've tried all of the different settings you've described on the Orbi router and the same issues persist. I haven't done a factory reset since doing a firmware update, though. Is this recommended?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If the modem is bridged, then you should be good here. 

Does the problems happen both with wired and wireless devices? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 9 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

here's your problem...2.3.5.30 

Message 10 of 16
jerrremy
Aspirant

Thanks! What do I do with this information?

@Retired_Member wrote:

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? 

v30 is NOT the problem, the problem is that the Orbi router is in the basement where it really needs to be on the main floor. Basements are not good for wifi. Others are having good operation with v30.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Firmware-2-3-5-30/m-p/1813247/highlight/true#M73127

Same for my system. ZERO issues. Main RBR is on 2nd story while RBS is in my basement. Works wired or wireless. 

Message 12 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jerrremy wrote:

Thanks! What do I do with this information?

@Retired_Member wrote:

Do a search.....there are numerous folks reporting problems with 2.3.5.30 

Message 13 of 16
jerrremy
Aspirant

I appreciate your suggestions but I'm not sure they apply to my situation. Perhaps my descripton of my problem isn't clear. I am not having any signal issues of any kind. The WiFi signal is very strong in every last corner of my house. I can run an internet speed test from anywhere and it comes back at full speed. I don't think the router being in the basement is the issue because my computers don't have the same issues with these particular websites that my mobile phones are having.

My issue: When using my mobile phone connected to WiFi, I can't access certain websites and some apps just don't work - specifically, all Google searches, Facebook, Instagram, and a few others. These websites work fine on all computers connected to the same WiFi network. These apps/websites work on other WiFi networks with the same phone with no issues. I have also tried connecting  other mobile phones (both iPhone and Android) to my network and all experience the same issues. I have the router connected to the router provided by my ISP that's set to bridge mode.  I'm using the Orbi RBR50 router with one satellie connected and both are on firmware 2.3.5.30 .

@FURRYe38 wrote:

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

v30 is NOT the problem, the problem is that the Orbi router is in the basement where it really needs to be on the main floor. Basements are not good for wifi. Others are having good operation with v30.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Firmware-2-3-5-30/m-p/1813247/highlight/true#M73127

Same for my system. ZERO issues. Main RBR is on 2nd story while RBS is in my basement. Works wired or wireless. 

Message 14 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@jerrremy wrote:

I set it to bridge mode and all wifi signals are turned off, but maybe there are additional settings I need to change. Any ideas?

What DNS settings do you have in Orbi?

If set to get autmatically from ISP, can you please test to change to manual DNS and try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead, and see if this will make any difference.

Thank you

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes Please try DNS changes as suggested to see if this helps resolve some of our problems. Possible that your ISP DNS could be giving these strange issues. 

@jerrremy wrote:

I appreciate your suggestions but I'm not sure they apply to my situation. Perhaps my descripton of my problem isn't clear. I am not having any signal issues of any kind. The WiFi signal is very strong in every last corner of my house. I can run an internet speed test from anywhere and it comes back at full speed. I don't think the router being in the basement is the issue because my computers don't have the same issues with these particular websites that my mobile phones are having.

My issue: When using my mobile phone connected to WiFi, I can't access certain websites and some apps just don't work - specifically, all Google searches, Facebook, Instagram, and a few others. These websites work fine on all computers connected to the same WiFi network. These apps/websites work on other WiFi networks with the same phone with no issues. I have also tried connecting  other mobile phones (both iPhone and Android) to my network and all experience the same issues. I have the router connected to the router provided by my ISP that's set to bridge mode.  I'm using the Orbi RBR50 router with one satellie connected and both are on firmware 2.3.5.30 .

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7