× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Streaming issues

adrideba
Aspirant

Streaming issues

Hi, I just purchased the netgear orbi and I am having buffering issues. I have a raspberry pi with kodi installed in it and I have a netgear nas 2 bay. Before I bought the orbi I was using the tp link plugs. It was ok but they were losing connection sometimes and I wanted something better. But now when I play a movie its buffering a lot and stops. The raspberry pi is connected to the orbi and the nas as well with the satellite both of them. The speed test is amazingly good 100mbs.. so all well but streaming is the worst! Any help pls?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Streaming issues

Is the streaming device wireless or wire connected to the router or Satellite? 

What frequency is the streaming device operating or connecting too? 2.4 or 5Ghz? 5Ghz is preferred for streaming video.

Try setting WPA2 and AES only.

Try disabling Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming. Enable Beamforming alone and test.

Message 2 of 25
adrideba
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply! It’s connected with a with a wire.. so I think frequency it will take the 5ghz! Right?
Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the streaming device connected via wire? To the router or the Satellte? 

Message 4 of 25
adrideba
Aspirant

Both are connected with a wire.. the nas streaming and raspberry pi.. they are connected to the satallite
Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you connect these devices to the router instead of the satellite. 

Message 6 of 25
adrideba
Aspirant

The thing is i cannot do that because of how the setup is .. the modem is in another room because the wire of the isp is there and cannot move it .. the room where im trying has a good 100mbs download connection so its good the satallite is showing blue so good as well.. i donno what to do else! 😞
Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you connect up a external Gb Network switch to the back of the Satellite, then connect these streaming devices to this swtich and see if anything changes. 

Message 8 of 25
adrideba
Aspirant

So I did some changes in the meantime .. I brought the ISP modem next to the orbi router and now it's connected directly with a wire. The netgear nas and the raspberry pi (kodi) are connected to the router so it's perfectly the best scenario you can have. But still the movie when it streams is caches and bufferes all the time. This never happened with my old router. What can I do pls?

Message 9 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A couple of things to consider:

With the orbi up and running how are your other devices performing?

It may be the the raspberry is  overwhelmed with the increased data flow.  How old is the raspberry?

Try running your Kodi on a different device, i.e. PC.

Message 10 of 25
adrideba
Aspirant

Thanks for you reply. It couldn't be from the raspberry pi because when I connect the raspberry pi and nas with the ISP modem directly, it works like a charm. As soon as I wire them with the Orbi, issues start.

Message 11 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

OK...so leave the Orbi hooked up and run Kodi on your PC.

Message 12 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Before you had the orbi, what was your setup?

it sounds like you have one of those dual purpose modems (modem/router).

Message 13 of 25
adrideba
Aspirant

Before I had the Orbi, I was using the wall plugs because my ISP modem was in another room. Because of this problem I said maybe I put the ISP modem next to the router. I have the Arris as the ISP modem.

Message 14 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

OK....well you either do not have the Orbi hooked up correctly with regard to your modem or you don't have your raspberry and nas configured correctly as they align with the Orbi.

I would set aside the raspberry/nas/kodi to see if the rest of your network and devices work ok.

The when you hook up the raspberry think about what the nas is supposed to be doing.  I don't have one but I'm guessing it's storage for the kodi..?

Message 15 of 25
adrideba
Aspirant

Yes the nas is being used NFS from the raspberry pi .. it loads all the movies I have stored there and I play them from the kodi.

Message 16 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ok....think about how it was hooked up before.  

sounds like the nas should be behind the raspberry.  If the kodi/raspberry have to go through the orbi or back through the network in some fashion that may be the cause of your problem.unless the nas is for network storage, i.e. placing all files there.

can the nas be hooked up directly to the raspberrry?  ( don't have one either.  Sorry)

good luck

Message 17 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I wouldn't call the Orbi a "low end Wi-Fi product."

I stream all sorts to my FireTv ,AirTV/Sling and XBox One with no problems.

Message 18 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Couldn't tell ya to all of the above nor do I care.  Forgot about all of the stuff years ago.  Like chasing rabbits.

All I know is that the orbi works.  Nice

Message 19 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the ISP modem?

Also can you remove the RPi from the configuration and just connect the NAS up alone with the Orbi system and test?

@adridebawrote:

Before I had the Orbi, I was using the wall plugs because my ISP modem was in another room. Because of this problem I said maybe I put the ISP modem next to the router. I have the Arris as the ISP modem.

Message 20 of 25
tsig
Luminary

You don't have two routers working against each other do you?  Either your ISP's router needs to be bridged or the Orbi needs to be in AP mode.

Message 21 of 25
adrideba
Aspirant

So now I did the orbi as AP mode.. but still it's buffering every like 10 mins. I noticed that with every scene that requires a lot of rendering (heavy scene).. it stops to cache.

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the ISP modem?

Also can you remove the RPi from the configuration and just connect the NAS up alone with the Orbi system and test?

Message 23 of 25
adrideba
Aspirant

the isp router is arris. What do you mean removing the raspberry pi? Then how am I gonna test a movie?

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Connect your NAS to the Orbi router alone with your streaming device and see how it does...

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7