Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Thinking of getting an Orbi but worried...

SadToGo
Aspirant

Thinking of getting an Orbi but worried...

Hi,

I would like to set up a mesh WiFi network, but keep my existing Router for a large number of LAN connections.

My set-up is a modem (input via FTTP), linked to a router (Asus RT-AX88U), and I'd like to get three Orbis just for WiFi, all in Access Point mode. I tend to have about 50 devices connected through WiFi, and 20 through LAN.

Reading up on this there are conflicting stories about whether or not this is possible - with some posts claiming you need at least one Orbi in router mode. If this is true, then I'll pass.

There are a number of issues specific to the UK regarding PPPoE, and of course I want to avoid double NAT.

This is really a question for a Netgear pre-sales support, but this is not offered by Netgear. Any help anyone could provide would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Jason 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

You can do that. 

I'm running a similar setup right now but with an RAX200 and not a Asus. 

You might have misunderstood that you just need an Orbi router. Many think you can just use the satellites as access points but they need a router to coordinate/control them. The router has access point mode and is easy to put into it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can do that. 

I'm running a similar setup right now but with an RAX200 and not a Asus. 

You might have misunderstood that you just need an Orbi router. Many think you can just use the satellites as access points but they need a router to coordinate/control them. The router has access point mode and is easy to put into it. 

Message 2 of 9
DarkNet
Apprentice

Right. This is totally doable. Like the OP, my main concern was wifi coverage while keeping my own router (pfSense box). I got the ORBI 20 which came with the router unit and 2 satellites. I put the RBR20 into AP mode and then added the 2 satellites. Works perfectly now but I DID have an issue with the wifi cutting out which I resolved by removing one of the satellites. The satellite was not defective but apparently for the size of my house, 3 AP units was too much and caused outages due to oversaturation or something?? Anyway, I tried playing around with settings and then read of an end user with the same problem who removed a satellite to clear up the problem. It worked for me as well. My house is 2700sqft with an open floor plan and 3 AP units were too much for the space. Happily running the RBR20 and (1) RBS20 now with good coverage and no outages. I’ll keep the unused RBS20 for a replacement or if we move into a larger house 😊

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Same for me, my RBK50 +RBS20 is in AP mode behind a NG router working has my main host router. Mixed 30 devices connected to the Orbi and host router. Works fine. 

@SadToGo wrote:

Hi,

I would like to set up a mesh WiFi network, but keep my existing Router for a large number of LAN connections.

My set-up is a modem (input via FTTP), linked to a router (Asus RT-AX88U), and I'd like to get three Orbis just for WiFi, all in Access Point mode. I tend to have about 50 devices connected through WiFi, and 20 through LAN.

Reading up on this there are conflicting stories about whether or not this is possible - with some posts claiming you need at least one Orbi in router mode. If this is true, then I'll pass.

There are a number of issues specific to the UK regarding PPPoE, and of course I want to avoid double NAT.

This is really a question for a Netgear pre-sales support, but this is not offered by Netgear. Any help anyone could provide would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Jason 

Message 4 of 9
SadToGo
Aspirant

Many thanks for your quick replies. I think I'll give it a go!

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it works out for you. 

Message 6 of 9
SadToGo
Aspirant

Just closing the loop... All set up and working a treat! Currently very happy as I get good reception, and >100M BPS everywhere on WiFi, and all my LAN set-up is unaffected. In particular by NAS drive, which I set a manual IP for, is accessable with no changes.

Went for the RBK53 with two satellites in the end. I wasn't sure I would need both satellites as my house is around 3,000 sq feet, but I'm glad I did as I needed both to get full coverage - probably because my house is quite long and thin, and there are brick walls in some places.

Set-up, as ever with network stuff, I found to be a little fiddly but not too bad. I set them up first in normal router mode, updated all the firmware and set passwords etc, and then switched it to "Access Point" mode when I was sure everything was working well . Sometimes the app worked first time when setting up the satellite, sometimes not - perhaps because I tried only using one satellite first as a test and it was expecting two. A bit of perseverance and doing the same thing a couple of times solved my initial satellite connection issues.

The dedicated radio working between the satellites seems to make a real difference. I was at the edge of WiFi reception in one room, getting only 10-20 MBPS. I installed the second satellite there, and hey presto, up to 200 MBPS.

Early days, but the system seems stable. We had a network outage in the middle of the night, and a couple of laptops had to be restated to re-connect to the WiFi again, but other than that it's been completly stable. A big improvement from my previous set-up.

Many thanks again for your responses.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it! Let us know if you have issues and we're happy to help. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@SadToGo wrote:

Just closing the loop... All set up and working a treat! Currently very happy as I get good reception, and >100M BPS everywhere on WiFi, and all my LAN set-up is unaffected. In particular by NAS drive, which I set a manual IP for, is accessable with no changes.

Went for the RBK53 with two satellites in the end. I wasn't sure I would need both satellites as my house is around 3,000 sq feet, but I'm glad I did as I needed both to get full coverage - probably because my house is quite long and thin, and there are brick walls in some places.

Set-up, as ever with network stuff, I found to be a little fiddly but not too bad. I set them up first in normal router mode, updated all the firmware and set passwords etc, and then switched it to "Access Point" mode when I was sure everything was working well . Sometimes the app worked first time when setting up the satellite, sometimes not - perhaps because I tried only using one satellite first as a test and it was expecting two. A bit of perseverance and doing the same thing a couple of times solved my initial satellite connection issues.

The dedicated radio working between the satellites seems to make a real difference. I was at the edge of WiFi reception in one room, getting only 10-20 MBPS. I installed the second satellite there, and hey presto, up to 200 MBPS.

Early days, but the system seems stable. We had a network outage in the middle of the night, and a couple of laptops had to be restated to re-connect to the WiFi again, but other than that it's been completly stable. A big improvement from my previous set-up.

Many thanks again for your responses.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7